Author Topic: Occasional Copy  (Read 765 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occasional Copy
« on: Wednesday 23 March 22 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
I know this has been explained previously but I don't recall where or what it implies. 

So would someone be kind enough to say it again please.

Two birth records for the same child. Everything is identical except the page number which is consecutive.   ie page 228  & 229 - the only difference to a siblings entry is the spelling of the mother's maiden name. That is quite on the cards. However the second copy is  marked "Occasional Copy A".  This is on GRO search.

What does this imply please . 

Essnell

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Occasional Copy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Occasional copies are submitted by the Superintendent Registrar when a correction is made to a register entry in their custody.
You would need to get a copy of the entry to see what the correction was.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 10:02 GMT (UK) »
As said, an occasional copy usually means there has been a correction or amendment to the entry, but having another page number might mean there was also a re-registration .... but as recommended, you would have to obtain a certificate(s) to work it out.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Anthony and KGarrad .
   It might be worth getting the three - these two and the siblings with the MMN spelt differently. 

I need this as accurate a possible as its part of a DNA Puzzle.

Would the downloadable ones be good enough for this?

Thanks again
 Essnell

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 22 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Would the downloadable ones be good enough for this?
In my opinion, yes.  And presumably the 'occasion' was the correction to the MMN ? My guess is that you may learn little from seeing both, and I assume that the later spelling was the preferred one.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 17:37 BST (UK) »
An uncle of my wife's apparently led a messy life.  He was born in Newcastle in 1909 and in May 1933 married a girl aged 20.  By 1939 she had reverted to her maiden surname.  Family folklore said they had divorced (then unusual for ordinary people) and there had been one daughter, who was registered in Newcastle as Jose Anderson late in 1934, but annotated Occasional Copy A.  Without getting certified copies I have also found a registration in Tynemouth for Joyce Thirlaway (the mother's surname) in the same quarter.

My assumption is that the pair had separated at the time of the birth, and the mother registered the child; the father may have found out, wished to give it his preferred name, and re-registered it (correctly, as they were probably still legally married) ?

LATER  -  must be coincidence. I've just checked Family Search; Joyce Thirlaway's MMN was Johnstone, so there must be some other explanation.  I may have to get that certificate ... >:(
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 13:51 BST (UK) »
HI Andrew Tarr,

People did make life messy didn't they?  And now this post had made you review your family. 
Well you may just have to get that certificate....   and I'm about to do similar.

Hope we get some clarity as a result.
 Essnell.