Author Topic: New South Wales -- Eugowra -- address  (Read 406 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New South Wales -- Eugowra -- address
« on: Thursday 24 March 22 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I have this address on a WW1 medal card, from an English emigrant applying for his medals. I wondered if anyone can tell me what the first word in it is? I have tried both 'Dychan' and 'Oychan' on Trove without success!

If anyone does know what it is (and even if you don't!) suggestions as to what an ex-sergeant pilot might be doing in Eugowra in 1922 would be welcome.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New South Wales -- Eugowra -- address
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 22 15:59 GMT (UK) »
P.S. His surname was Marsden, so whatever the first word is, it isn't his name.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 22 16:05 GMT (UK) »
It must be Vychan - that seems to be very close to Eugowra.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 22 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Shaun, you have beaten your previous record in replying to me -- it must be Vychan! Many thanks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 22 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Nearly 3.30 a.m. here in NSW, and my husband's phone rings.  It is one of our ancient living rellies,  he is wide awake, reading RChat. 

Someone wants to know about VYCHAN. 

Well that wakes us up properly.

Yes, it is a localty and it is near Eugowra, which is a small village in the central west of NSW.   Yes, we know that district very well.

1922 ... well likely he did some training programs in England as part of the discharge process after WWI.   And so when migrating to NSW he may have taken up a soldiers settlement or he may have sought employment on Vychan ....   good soil, good water supply, not too far for horse and buggy to get to stores in Eugowra. 

If you care to give further details of medal holder, I will make time over this weekend to go through my offline resources. 

JM   .... now having a cuppa tea and a chat with a NON RChatter who is over 100 and who knew Vychan Estate in his yourh.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 March 22 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there from the UK, sorry you got woken up in the small hours but sounds as though you think it's worth it!
Thank you for your friendly response. My information is quite thin, I'm afraid, but maybe you or your contacts will be able to build on it.
Wilfrid Eagles Marsden was demobilised from the RAF on 3 May 1919, having been a sergeant pilot. His last posting was as a pilot trainer in NE England. Wilfrid left England bound for Sydney on 30.12.1919 and he gave his occupation as 'nil'. He had been an actor before the war but I suspect not very successfully, I haven't been able to find him listed in advertisements for shows.
Wilfrid gave Vychan, Eugowra, as his address on 12 August 1922 when he applied for his medals.
I see from Trove that the property belonged to Mr Tom Bray. By 19 May 1923 Wilfrid had moved to Cargoon, a station near Pentland, Townsville, Queensland, and he was listed as a 'bookkeeper' at that address in 1925. So he didn't stay at Vychan for very long.
I look forward to hearing from you again!

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 March 22 05:15 GMT (UK) »
You probably have this.  There is a public tree on Ancestry which has information about him although nothing about his time in Australia.  The tree seems well-researched with good references - even a photo of him. Interesting Life this chap had.

Wilfred apparently returned to UK in 1925.  This tree has a copy of his name on an out-going (from Australia) passenger list
Ticketed to London,
Marsden, Wilfred Eagles, retired, aged 36, single, Australia last country of residence, race: British, intending to reside in England, travelling 1st Class.
The person who posted it says the list was for passengers out of Adelaide, but doesn't cite the actual date or the ship.  I'll have a bit of a look and see if I can locate the actual document.

Judith

Edit to add:
Found that shipping list;
Wilfred Eagle Marsden
in the South Australia, Australia, Incoming and Outgoing Passenger Lists, 1845-1940

It's a Commonwealth of Australia document for passengers embarking at Adelaide per shiip Orama, Orient Line, departing 7 May, 1925

Quite a posh ship by accounts in the press.  He must have had money to travel first class.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/218867368

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 March 22 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith, yes I have all those references -- now just trying to fill in the various gaps. Thank you for taking an interest!