Author Topic: Mining Accident, Birtley  (Read 396 times)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mining Accident, Birtley
« on: Thursday 24 March 22 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm on the hunt for information about a mining accident which would've occurred at some point between 1921 and 1939 (apologies for the large time period).

My great grandfather, Charles Thompson, was a miner who had a bad mining accident which resulted in a broken leg. As was common at the time, the bone was cut at both ends in order for it to fuse back together which resulted in one leg being 6 inches shorter than the other. From what we've been told as a family, we believe he was working at a pit in Birtley but we'd like to find out more if possible.

Sorry for the lack of specific details, but if anyone can help or point me in the direction of where I might look for further information it would be much appreciated.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Accident, Birtley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 22 16:21 GMT (UK) »
You could check in newspapers as it was likely reported at the time.

Search for Birtley pit accident something like that and see what comes up.

You could check the 1921 census and 1939 register to see where he was at those times. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 22 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Milliepede  :)

I've had a look on British Newspaper Archives but haven't had any luck finding anything which seems to fit.

I've also got the 1921 census which shows my great grandad was working as a stoneman employed by the Heworth Coal Company at Fanny Pit, Sheriff Hill. My grandfather's birth certificate shows that his father was a miner but now working as a coal cutter. According to the 1939 Register he was employed as a night watchman, so was no longer mining.

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 22 17:17 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth looking at the Durham Mining Museum website
dmm.org.uk

There's lots of information on there about the different pits.  Thankfully your great grandad wasn't killed but names of all those killed in mining disasters are named.

Chris

Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 22 22:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11118?SearchType=AtoZ&SearchStart=T

You could try Durham Archives 'Hidden Depths' - this seems to be freezing for me but perhaps you might be able to access further than showing page on link?

Added .. Now link doesn't seem to be working at all.  Perhaps try googling it.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 March 22 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Durham county record office hold the compensation records. This is an example of what’s in one volume. Unfortunately I think they have to be accessed in the office itself and the search room is now closed as they are moving premises. They are still answering email enquiries, but for some things they charge. You could always email them to ask and see how much they’d charge to look up what you need. Eg

“ Ref: D/DMA 4/5/5
Compensation Department, Reports of meetings of the Arbitration Committee (labelled 'Minutes of Arbitration Committee'), vol.5, 14 January - 21 December 1925 Reports of regular meetings (1) for fatal cases gives case numbers, lodges, names, ages, occupations, details of accidents, details of dependents (family relationships, ages, occupations and earnings), and settlement claims, offers and awards; (2) for requests [i.e. variations to awards] gives case numbers, lodges, names, details of awards, details of dependents (family relationships, ages, occupations and earnings), and details of award variations; (3) for cases dealt with outside the Arbitration Committee [i.e. collieries not in the Durham Colliery Owners' Mutual Protection Association] gives case numbers, lodges, names, ages, occupations, details of accidents, details of dependents (family relationships and ages), and settlements; (4) for non-fatal cases gives case numbers, lodges, names, ages, occupations, details of accident, and medical opinions; (5) for official medical referee cases gives case numbers, lodges, names, ages, occupations and opinions of medical referee; (6) for County Court cases gives case numbers, lodges, names, ages, occupations, details of accidents and judgements; with indexes to fatal, non-fatal and official medical referee cases, in lodge and alphabetical order Also review of the work of the Compensation Department in 1925 With indexes (in lodge order and in name order) to fatal cases, non-fatal cases and official medical referee cases Formerly numbered as D/DMA (Sam Watson) Vol 170 Indexed in 'Mining Durham's Hidden Depths' http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10562/Mining-Durhams-Hidden-Depths
North East of England