Author Topic: understanding Matches of matches knowing some connections  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: understanding Matches of matches knowing some connections
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 April 22 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I don’t know if I can Post it here, as possibly too big?

I’ll try anyway.

Romilly

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 April 22 20:12 BST (UK) »
It's too fuzzy to read on my phone .will try on computer .

Next  Friday I'm going to explain to one of my computer wizard friends about DNA and look at the Leeds method

If that does what I want

Or WATO. If you'd recommend that more .

Meanwhile I may be getting more known family statistics

As ms Y has been on my match list but her tree has her mother as home person and is not actually linked to the DNA results .

She is descended from same great grandmother as Mr T s line and according to high DNA matches to Mr X so is their 2cand

My 3C cos mutual common ancestor is  1 generation up .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 April 22 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I’ll try anyway.

Romilly
Ok, i can't read the numbers, but if you look at the tree the higher number in the little green box the better the odds for that relationship.  Also if you switch to the new beta v2 you will get the wrod strongest above the best fit. 
Next if you scroll down, to the ranking table, that will show you each possibility in turn, which you can look back to see on the diagram :-)

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 April 22 20:43 BST (UK) »
It's too fuzzy to read on my phone .will try on computer .

Next  Friday I'm going to explain to one of my computer wizard friends about DNA and look at the Leeds method

If that does what I want

Or WATO. If you'd recommend that more .

Meanwhile I may be getting more known family statistics

As ms Y has been on my match list but her tree has her mother as home person and is not actually linked to the DNA results .

She is descended from same great grandmother as Mr T s line and according to high DNA matches to Mr X so is their 2cand

My 3C cos mutual common ancestor is  1 generation up .

The leeds method is great for grouping sets of matches together who potentially come from the same ancestors. My own view is that once you start getting a few matches that have known links together the leeds method is great to start linking other unknowns to them. 
I think in your case though with WATO might give you possibilities for relationships that you can then check out easier.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 April 22 20:59 BST (UK) »
thanks Richard yes thats my case I have matriarchs of a few of the lines who have dna tested and canoften work out which of great grandfathers siblings they descend from and then narrow descendants from the next generation
i know exact match of the people who descend from my own great grandfathers first and second marriages and those of his wifes.first marriage and descendants of her sisters tho ggfather was a JONES and ggmother was a SMITH

we have step siblings + adopters adoptees in most generations and branches .plus some other complex relationships .

I think such a huge data base and scope will helpthe unknown ..have alresdy found where a warbaby  and a grandchild of an adoptee fit in thru the dna and background story : ,location or family history notes well documented

so it does sound as if leeds method will be best .  I..ll keep you updated

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 22 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,
I’ll try anyway.

Romilly
Ok, i can't read the numbers, but if you look at the tree the higher number in the little green box the better the odds for that relationship.  Also if you switch to the new beta v2 you will get the wrod strongest above the best fit. 
Next if you scroll down, to the ranking table, that will show you each possibility in turn, which you can look back to see on the diagram :-)

Richard

I’ll try Posting the Link, and see if that’s easier to read:

https://dnapainter.com/tools/probability/view/f832703b623bd5b3

If I’m understanding it correctly, it’s Hypothesis 1 that is the most probable result?
Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 May 22 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting that example romilly
It does look like a very useful tool . I want to get my teeth into it ...next computer lesson ..

Hypothesis 1 is the most likely result but don't discount the others .

Does what the computer tells you match what your instinct tells you ?

Can you add new people as you get more results .

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 May 22 16:13 BST (UK) »

I'm just seeing if I can add new people, or whether I have to start a new Chart...

Since doing that one I've had a few new matches, but all are descended from the same Kean family.

I've gone through all of the children of Richard Kean and Frances Butler and can't find one who could be my Grandfather, born 1860.

Possibly my Grandfather was fathered by Richard Kean, born 1832, but outside of marriage? That might explain why he's a Wilson and not a Kean?

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 May 22 17:13 BST (UK) »
Just looked again, and Hypothesis 1 seems to be based on my Grandfather being born in 1877? Whereas he was born in 1860…

And so I’m unsure if I should discount this hypothesis?

Hypothesis 1
Subject is the child of Father of IH b1896 and grandchild of Unknown half-sib born circa 1877

SCORE = 1,582
About 2 times more likely than the next hypothesis.

Romilly.
Researching: