Author Topic: Deportation from USA 1920  (Read 814 times)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deportation from USA 1920
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 16:45 BST (UK) »
Found : widow and child detained, at back of all entries, LPC and some squiggles. But only for about 2 days then released.

Well done for that suggestion.

Glad you found them. Always good to check the end of manifest pages for deportation/refused entry lists.

Have you checked the preceding pages for the 1920 Passenger Arrival list (Southampton)? In the image you provided, I'm curious to know what the "do" + "do" columns represented.

I'm wondering if the brother-in-law decided to return to England (with the widow and children). But his name was (incorrectly) included in the "Deported" list with theirs.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 17:14 BST (UK) »
With the surname Eacher, most of the newspaper hits are for Teacher.

For future reference.
You might have tried this already. It works on Google, sometimes, but I don't know if it will work on a newspaper site:
Search for Eacher -teacher

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 18:20 BST (UK) »
'Do' - Port of Embarkation (New York), Port Landed (Soton), Class of Travel (3rd)

Putting - gets rid of about half of them, which still leaves an awful lot of false hits.

I did wonder if he (brother-in-law) had gone voluntarily, but without records who can tell.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 18:34 BST (UK) »
'Do' - Port of Embarkation (New York)

That's interesting, considering the brother-in-law was living in Pittsburgh in 1920. Perhaps the widow was staying in New York when she was classed as LPC.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 April 22 00:00 BST (UK) »
I do recall a a family story that a couple and their two young children, after hoping to build a new life in Canada, were sent back, or deported, when it became evident that the father had severe tuberculosis. Would that be a practical reason? Certainty, in later family photos and events he seemed always to have been invalid.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 April 22 00:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that would have been a valid reason.  Depends if Canada had similar deportation rules, and when it happened.