Author Topic: War Medals  (Read 318 times)

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
War Medals
« on: Tuesday 29 March 22 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My grandfather was meant to have received the France and Germany Star and the War Medal 1939-1945.  Is there anywhere I can look to confirm that he got these (or didn't)? If he got these medals, is there a way of tracing what happened to them (ie. trying to find if they were sold or anything like that).

Thanks,

Oli

Offline seaweed

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: War Medals
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 12:28 BST (UK) »
Try
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility

If he was awarded medals and they became lost/stolen/sold then there is little or no chance you could trace them.
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, as suggested, it looks like he would have got the France & Germany medal as well as the War Medal.  Couldn't find a way of searching whether he would have definitely received them know to confirm.

As expected on not being able to trace them down.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My grandfather was meant to have received the France and Germany Star and the War Medal 1939-1945.  Is there anywhere I can look to confirm that he got these (or didn't)? If he got these medals, is there a way of tracing what happened to them (ie. trying to find if they were sold or anything like that).

Thanks,

Oli

If he was eligible and claimed them and they have now disappeared there is no way his originals could be traced because, unlike the WWI campaign medals which had the recipient's name engraved on them, WW2 medals did not. If you want to replace them you could just purchase some on the open market (they are not expensive, although I recommend using a reputable dealer rather than eBay to avoid copies or fakes). Oh, and he would also have been eligible for at least the 1939-45 Star as well and maybe others depending where he served during the war.

If he never claimed them (unlike WWI medals that were automatically sent to recipients or next of kin, WW2 medals had to be applied for) it may be possible for you to claim them under certain conditions (my father claimed his in about 2000 and they are now framed on my wall along with a service photo, as are his father's WWI medals). The following links may be useful:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-medal
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility

Offline millofski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks farmeroman.  He took part as a Glider Pilot in the Battle of Arnhem.  Will have a look at those two links.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 13:36 BST (UK) »
It might be worth contacting Imjin Barracks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/applying-for-medals

Im not sure what would be the best way to contact them, but there is a form on the link which you could complete to apply for the medals in case they were not claimed.

Presumably if they were claimed, you will receive information about entitlement and which medals were issued, possibly even date they were claimed/sent and the address and to whom they were sent. You can also attach annotations and additional pages with the form if you have further enquiries.