Author Topic: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC  (Read 1234 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 22 02:22 BST (UK) »

If you know your line of descent from  Alexander McLEOD born in Nigg in 1772, through
Andrew McLEOD, b. 1817 and Ann McLEOD, b. 1823...........what outcome are you now wanting, and using a forum for assistance?

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 22 02:50 BST (UK) »
As the subject heading indicated, I was trying to find out who this Andrew and Ann McLeod belonged to.  It wasn't clear that Andrew McLeod was really Andrew Ross, although now it is.  Ann McLeod was also without parents and I was kind of hoping to get some details that might help with that.

The forum has been very helpful in the past and I try to keep my questions to a minimum.  I didn't realize one could only ask questions about ones direct ancestors.  I have a McLeod brick wall but am just as interested in some aunt or uncle's tree, if it fills in some blanks about my own McLeod ancestors eg. migration patterns.  I am also interested in all the other family lines too.  My previous question about Alexander John McLeod was because I had linked his possible father to Barvas and that connection interested me. 

Do my questions violate some policy?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 April 22 02:58 BST (UK) »

It helps to have some context, time line....described outcome.

Helps to know if named people are ....possibilities....distant/close/immediate to your line of interest.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 April 22 03:34 BST (UK) »
To answer one other question I accidentally raised.  Ann McLeod born in 1842 had a son Alex McLeod registered in Tain ROC in 1864.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 April 22 05:41 BST (UK) »
Ann Ross or McLeod, aged 90, died in Nigg in 1908, no mother's surname indexed.

I thought I'd emphasise, for others reading this post with little/no knowledge of SP death indexes, this doesn't mean the mms wasn't known which would be shown as -----.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 April 22 05:57 BST (UK) »
To answer one other question I accidentally raised.  Ann McLeod born in 1842 had a son Alex McLeod registered in Tain ROC in 1864.

I don't think there's anything to be concerned about with your posts, it seems to be the lack of info. which is being queried, likewise with the above...

What info. is on the BC, was there no father named, what was the address of the birth?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 April 22 09:56 BST (UK) »
I probably won't do that because I downloaded the transcriptions on a "free" weekend.  The actual image would have been available to subscribers.
No, the actual images of the Scottish census are not available to anyone on FindMyPast. Only the transcriptions. 

To see an original you either have to download it from Scotland's People (£1.50) or go to a library of family history centre where they have microfilms of the census (free, apart from the cost of getting there and the time needed to find the right page).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 April 22 10:01 BST (UK) »
I didn't realize one could only ask questions about ones direct ancestors.
Where did you get that idea?

If that were true then none of us would be able to ask the questions that might lead to unravelling your questions!

Do my questions violate some policy?
Absolutely not.

Apart from the usual rules of netiquette (be polite, relevant etc) the only rules I am aware of are: that questions and answers must not contain information that could identify some who may still be living; e-mail addresses must not be included in the forums; and information posted must not breach copyright.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 April 22 10:23 BST (UK) »

There is something odd here.

In an earlier post you said that Ann McLeod's illegitimate son Alexander was born in Spott. From SP, there is indeed a birth of Alexander McLeod in Spott in 1864, and the IGI says that Alexander McLeod, illegitimate son of Ann McLeod, was born in Spott on 7 January 1864. Spott is not quite as far from Nigg as it's possible to get and still be in Scotland, so why was she so far from home? What evidence do you have that the Ann McLeod whose son was born in Spott is the daughter of Andrew McLeod and Ann McLeod?

Now, you say that Alexander was registered in Tain in 1864. From SP, there is only one birth of an Alexander McLeod registered in Tain in 1864, and it was the 87th of 102 births registered in Tain that year, so it's obviously too late in the year to be a duplicate registration of the birth in Spott on 7 January. It's not in the IGI, so I shelled out 6 credits, and this Alexander McLeod was born on 14 October 1864 in Tain, the illegitimate son of Caroline McLeod. 

So what is your evidence that Ann McLeod's illegitimate son was registered in Tain in 1864?