Author Topic: British Newspaper Archive - offer of free access?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: British Newspaper Archive - offer of free access?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 April 22 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all those who have provided insight/comment.  Very much appreciated.  I don't want things for 'free' just it was being sold to me as 'free'.  However, that has limitations, as has been explained.

I will think about how much I'm likely to use Newspapers and see whether to sign up to BNA or link it again with FindMyPast sub, which might be more cost effective. 

I have certainly appreciated the advice to get the 2 articles on the 'free' access and for that, I'm very grateful.

RootsChatters - you are fantastic and my 'Go to' site for advice.  I just love 'listening' to you all and all the sage advice and perspectives your knowledge brings.

Stay safe.  Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 April 22 22:38 BST (UK) »
The way I use BNA is to use the search and use the bookmark feature to save found articles of interest and build up a collection.  I then subscribe for a month to review, and extract everything I need then let it lapse and repeat the process.

I also tend to start the subscription when I know I have a day or 2 when I just sit down and review it all in a single sitting, then use the rest of the month to ad-hoc search.  BNA has been a great resource for me as it helped me discover a previously unknown line in the family which we would have not known otherwise!

I found this method allows me to switch between resources and keeping subscription costs sensible but does require a bit of patience on the information you want to review!

If you do this, make sure you find the tick box to stop the auto renewal from taking place!
Harding/Jones/Walters/Coates in Stoke on Trent
Calderbank/Baxendale/Swift/Massey in Chorley and Standish

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 22 06:22 BST (UK) »
Before you pay, it may be worth checking the free sources such as Australia and New Zealand archives and the New York Times. UK articles got reprinted all round the world for ex-pats or just as space-fillers.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 22 06:55 BST (UK) »
www.trove.nla.gov.au is a fantastic free resource of Australian newspapers with many news items from overseas. Worth checking out.
shume    australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 April 22 10:06 BST (UK) »
Lots of good advice.  Thanks very much  :)

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 22:13 BST (UK) »
If you think just one month's access to BNA will be enough, sign up via TopCashBack and you'll get 75% or so cashback. I did it a few years ago, and the fiver or so it ultimately cost me was the best I ever spent.