Author Topic: Crew List of sunken ship SS Dartmouth  (Read 3744 times)

Offline GeneFerret

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crew List of sunken ship SS Dartmouth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 22 21:32 BST (UK) »
My great, great grandfather was Captain Nicolas Clinton Browne. He was one of the crew on SS Dartmouth in 1883 and, according to the "Record of Sailors and Masters Who Lost their Lives at Sea", he is recorded as "supposed drowned". His death notice was in the "Freeman's Journal",Dublin 1883. It reads - "...lost with all hands on the Welsh Coast, in bad weather, Nicholas Clinton Browne, Captain of the SS Dartmouth, and eldest son of S. Browne Esq., Waterloo Road, Aged 27 years. The Lord's Will be done". Nicholas was born in Dublin on 26th April, 1855 and baptised on 10th June, 1855.  He married Emma Donelan (Dublin). They resided at Cambridge House, Rathmines.  Their daughter Madeline Constance Browne was born in 1880. She was my great grandmother.  Madeline was only three years old when her father was lost at sea, in bad weather.  Six days before this tragedy, Madeline's mother, Emma, gave birth to a baby boy, whom she named, Nicholas. I wonder of Nicholas Browne ever knew he had a new baby son?  In 1885, Emma married Waldemar Hewitt, a Postmaster from Belfast, and my great grandmother, five year old Madeline, joined a new family, in a new life unaware of the heritage had she left behind. Nicholas Browne was 5Xgreat grandson of William Sarsfield and Mary Stuart. His father was Sarsfield Vesey Browne (Dublin), and his mother was Harriett Flint (Isle of Man).