Author Topic: Possible Allen Photo  (Read 579 times)

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible Allen Photo
« on: Thursday 21 April 22 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I have found a photo which I believed was related to my Thompson side of the family.  However, I now think it could be of my Great Grandfather's family.  I believe it may have been taken in 1904 which would fit with this studio.  I think it may be of Frederick Allen, his wife Rose (nee Halpin), his daughter Rose  (aged nearly 5), his son George Frederick (aged nearly 3) his daughter Grace (aged 2 - bottom left of photo) and baby Albert (born July 1904).  At first I thought George Frederick looked the oldest but on closer inspection I think he may be standing on something which makes him look taller.  I would be grateful of any help or observations from others.  Thank you.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Allen Photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 22 16:16 BST (UK) »
Looks like you're probably right.
This is mid-late Edwardian.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 22 17:40 BST (UK) »
Looks like you're probably right.
This is mid-late Edwardian.

Thank you.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 22 19:30 BST (UK) »
I'm not so sure about it being Edwardian - I'm wondering 1890s, and the dates for the studio given in this post would make that possible:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=640697.msg4879293#msg4879293

I also feel that the boy at the back looks quite a bit older than "nearly 3". From his face I'd say more like 6-7. The two children in dresses look very similar, and their faces are much younger/chubbier than the boy's, but I'm not sure there's as much as 3 years between them. I also wouldn't rule out the one on the left being a boy, pre-breeching, though that would have been well on its way out by the end of the 19th century.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 22 19:46 BST (UK) »
I agree with Jim. The lady's dress is far more from the Edwardian era than the 1890s - this was the decade of puffed-type sleeves.

Also, breeching certainly existed into the 1900s. My father was born in late 1905 and I remember one of his little tartan dresses. Bless him  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 22 19:57 BST (UK) »
I'm not so sure about it being Edwardian - I'm wondering 1890s, and the dates for the studio given in this post would make that possible:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=640697.msg4879293#msg4879293

I also feel that the boy at the back looks quite a bit older than "nearly 3". From his face I'd say more like 6-7. The two children in dresses look very similar, and their faces are much younger/chubbier than the boy's, but I'm not sure there's as much as 3 years between them. I also wouldn't rule out the one on the left being a boy, pre-breeching, though that would have been well on its way out by the end of the 19th century.

I thought the boy looked older to start with too.  I thought the child on the left had a bow in her hair  too but think that might be part of the Father's suit!

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 April 22 19:58 BST (UK) »
I agree with Jim. The lady's dress is far more from the Edwardian era than the 1890s - this was the decade of puffed-type sleeves.

Also, breeching certainly existed into the 1900s. My father was born in late 1905 and I remember one of his little tartan dresses. Bless him  :)

Gadget

Thank you very much.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 April 22 20:35 BST (UK) »
I've just re-read my previous post which could be read wrongly about the sleeves. It was the 1890s that were the years of the large sleeves. See for e.g.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/history/date/a1896.htm

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 April 22 23:21 BST (UK) »
I agree with Jim and Gadget, the sleeves on the ladies top are wrong for the 1890s. I also think the boy at the back is stood on something.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU