Author Topic: Date of school photo  (Read 883 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of school photo
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 April 22 15:01 BST (UK) »
Yes I think so too Gadget.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 April 22 15:06 BST (UK) »
That period would cover  the Boer War, Queen Victoria's death or an anniversary of some other important event.
It's obviously some kind of enactment.

:-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 April 22 15:35 BST (UK) »

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 April 22 16:14 BST (UK) »
It is so difficult because dating photos isn't an exact science, it depends on social background. Although I would agree with the dates offered, I have just looked at two photos of boys one in 1906 wearing knickerbockers and the other one wearing long shorts dated 1907 ::)

The book is called "A Richer Dust" Echoes of an Edwardian Album". written by Colin Gordon who bought a box of glass negatives of late Victorian/Early Edwardian. The plates were named and dated and after much research into the "Huby" Family he published the book.
So there is always lee-way either side of dates offered.
The photo is very relaxed and informal so maybe just a school event.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 April 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
I've just found a copy of an old family photo from 1902. This is a snip of my grt/grd Uncle Ben with knickerbockers.

I do have a cleaned up version but this one was on this machine!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 April 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
Re separate entrances -

I went to a school  that had Boys and Girls carved above separate doors because the building was built in the mid-late 19th century. I think we used which ever door was nearest to our classroom!

Add - some school photos from 1900-1920

http://www.gamlingayphotos.co.uk/school-groups-1900-1920/

and a Canadian one from 1900

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harold-Innis-school.gif

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 April 22 17:43 BST (UK) »
  Thank you for all your thoughts on this. I will assume an early Edwardian date. This is the school I went to, as did my mother, grandfather, and possibly my gr grandfather, as it was built about the time he was born. If the picture is Edwardian, there will be none of my family in it, but I was also given a smaller group picture, which includes my mother and aunt aged about 6/7. That one would be about 1919, and some of the children look quite poverty stricken.
   Now I shall have to search the local papers, to see what they were doing round the flagpole!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire