Author Topic: LMA search request - Foundling Hospital Records - Herbert DAY  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LMA search request - Foundling Hospital Records - Herbert DAY
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 April 22 17:20 BST (UK) »
Many years ago the LMA provided me with a Coroner's Inquest report, and I paid with a cheque.
But I live in England, so it was a very smooth transaction.

As for Amy, you can follow her pretty easily in other records. Do you have an Ancestry or FindMyPast sub?
Or do you use (free) Family Search?

Offline karencda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 April 22 17:30 BST (UK) »
I do not have any subscription services.  I am able to access Ancestry.com from the library, but don't get there very often.

Any additional information would be appreciated!

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 April 22 17:35 BST (UK) »
Use Family Search - which is free. Just register for a free account. All you need to do is create a User Name and password. That's it.  Link: www.FamilySearch.org

1881 census - King Street, Lambeth
Amy Burnard
Born 1878 - Southwark

Living with Elizabeth Wren (age 64), and family members Frederick (age 1) and Ellen (age 0).

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 April 22 17:40 BST (UK) »
Baptism for Amy below. The actual image can be viewed on Family Search.
Here is the FS link to the image: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L96Y-J6XH?i=775&cc=2475028

Name:   Amy Elizabeth Burnard
Event Date:   3 Feb 1878
Event Place (Original):   St. Andrew, Lambeth, Surrey, England
Father's Name:   William Thomas Burnard
Mother's Name:   Elizabeth Burnard

As Dundee pointed out yesterday, your Amy Elizabeth married Henry Alfred Stone in 1904.

1911 census - Southgate, Middlesex
Amy Elizabeth Stone (age 32, born Lambeth)
Henry Alfred Stone (age 40, born Middlesex, carman for coal merchants)
Henry Alfred William Stone (age 3, born Middlesex)

STONE, ALFRED  HENRY WILLIAM    Mother's maiden name: BARNARD 
GRO Reference: 1907  S Quarter in EDMONTON  Volume 03A  Page 631

STONE, NELLIE  AMY     Mother's maiden name: BURNARD 
GRO Reference: 1906  M Quarter in EDMONTON  Volume 03A  Page 643

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 April 22 19:46 BST (UK) »
I must be losing the plot - I thought I read that Amy was only 13yrs old when she gave birth - shoot me now🤣🤣
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 April 22 19:47 BST (UK) »
There were 2 Amy Elizabeth Burnard's - one born Mar. qtr. 1878 Lambeth (as detailed by Hillhurst) and the one born Sept.qtr.1883 Greenwich (which is the one you are referring to).   The latter married Laurence Batton Ridgers in 1905.

The one born 1878 was the daughter of a William Thomas Burnard and wife Elizabeth.   She married a Henry Alfred Stone 31/7/1904 St. Thomas, Lambeth. Surname listed as Barnard but she has signed as Burnard.  A daughter Nellie Amy born and died 1906 - mmn Burnard - and a son Alfred Henry William in 1908 (listed as Henry Alfred William in 1911) - mmn Barnard (?).

So, was it really a 13 year old who gave birth 1897?   Or was it the 19 year old who married Henry Alfred Stone in 1904?

My money would be on the latter.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 April 22 19:50 BST (UK) »
Based on the address scenario I outlined earlier (reply #6), I believe the mother is the AEB born 1878 Lambeth. She appears to be the lady who married HA Stone in 1904.

So it sounds like the OP had the wrong AEB, born 1882 Greenwich. She married the Ridgers chap.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 April 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
I must be losing the plot - I thought I read that Amy was only 13yrs old when she gave birth - shoot me now🤣🤣

You're not!   OP referred to marriage to Laurence Ridgers in 1905 and that was the Amy born 1884!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline karencda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 April 22 20:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you, that makes much more sense!  I do not have access to any ancestry subscription sites and am struggling to put the pieces together. I only recently discovered that Herbert Day was actually Frederick William Burnard, born to Amy E. Burnard, and that he was a Foundling Hospital child.  Things are moving quickly.

So, I am now pursuing Amy Burnard, born in 1878 in Lambeth, as the birth mother of Frederick William Burnard, born April 1, 1897. I apologize for my rookie mistake in pursuing the other Amy Burnard.

In 1897, Amy Burnard gives birth to Frederick William Burnard.  The baptism record shows she is living at 59 Aldenham Street and is employed as a Domestic Servant.  In 1898, she places Frederick William Burnard with the Foundling Hospital.  1901 census records show that Amy Burnard (born in 1878) is working as a domestic servant in Wood Green, Tottenham, in the employ of widowed Abraham I Drapkin (age 40). He's an Export Merchant, and a Naturalised British Subject from Russia.  In 1904, Amy marries Henry Alfred Stone.

So, I am now trying to piece together Amy's husband's history.  Where was Henry Alfred Stone living prior to 1904?  Was he living close to Amy Burnard in or around 1896 (when Frederick William Burnard was conceived)?  In the absence of any documentation naming a birth father, I am trying to narrow down the possibilities.  Her employer could be the next best guess.  What happened to Amy and Henry after 1904?

Thank you for your patience and your assistance!