Author Topic: Henry William McKenzie born 1869  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry William McKenzie born 1869
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 July 22 04:45 BST (UK) »
Goodbye to Glenmuick and thank you for time spent.  Ballater looks like a nice place for the Queen to visit.  I was excited to have you find any direct relation to Henry in Jean Ann living in Huntly of all places - very Gordon territory. Very near the castle.
Did Jean born 1805 (Anne’s sister 1808) daughter of John Gordon marry a McKenzie. Maybe an aunt. I cannot find her BC either.  William had 3 brothers George 1775, Alex 1779 and James 1784. 
I have found that William 1791 had parents Wm 1751 and Marg nee Sutherland and can go back to 4th Earl of Seaforth and beyond. (Family Search).  I would now like to claim them.
I have come this far so now want John Gordons parents.  Married at Knockando to Christina Collie, and parents of Ann.  We have a town near our Perth Western Australia named Collie after one of her relations who surveyed our coast years ago.
Henry and Charlotte had children Gordon Hector, Keith Lindsay, Stuart Henry, Jessie Heather my mother and Ronald. Says William a farmer and mother Ann nee Gordon bother dec’d in 1798 on MC.
I will now get ready to watch the golf at St Andrews.  I visited there many years ago.  I loved my quick trip to Scotland and thought constantly of Grandad who was so sentimental about Scotland.
I am surprised about him lying about his age, but maybe he was driven to lie, and get away to army life.  His Gordon relatives were all in army apparently.  I may look into that side of family now.
Thank you again.
Diane nee Roberts.  My family came from Cornwall in 1853 and built up an iron works in Bendigo Victoria, Australia.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 July 22 10:15 BST (UK) »
I was excited to have you find any direct relation to Henry in Jean Ann living in Huntly of all places - very Gordon territory. Very near the castle.
Actually she was in the parish of Culsalmond, so she wasn't all that near Huntly Castle.

Did Jean born 1805 (Anne’s sister 1808) daughter of John Gordon marry a McKenzie.
There is a death of Jane Gordon or Grant, mother's surname Collie, aged 89, in 1894 in the parish of Abernethy and Kincardine, Inverness-shire. This is the next parish to CIA.

I have found that William 1791 had parents Wm 1751 and Marg nee Sutherland and can go back to 4th Earl of Seaforth and beyond. (Family Search).  I would now like to claim them.
If you got that from some online tree or other, do not trust or believe it. Check every step of it for evidence and proof, and until you have such evidence don't 'claim' them.

I have come this far so now want John Gordons parents.  Married at Knockando to Christina Collie, and parents of Ann.
This may not be possible. They were married in 1797 and their family were born 1798-1811, so John and Christian/Christina were probably born before 1780. Unfortunately the early records of Knockando were destroyed when the session clerk's house went on fire in 1783. The volume starting in 1767 was saved, but the minister who wrote the New Statistical Account commented that the register was very incomplete because parents were neglecting to have their children's baptisms recorded.

There is a possible candidate for Christian Collie; baptised in Knockando 15 November 1770, parents James Collie and Agnes McRobbie. However there are other candidates in other parishes, and it's always possible that she was one of those whose parents neglected to have her baptism recorded.

There are deaths of William Gordon, 88, in 1899 and Elspet Gordon, aged 85, in 1900, mother's maiden surname Collie, both in Inveravon. The 1881 census lists at Drumgrain, Inveravon William Gordon, 69 and his sister Elspet, 64, both born in Cromdale. Inveravon is on the other bank of the Spey opposite Knockando and CIA.

In 1851 William was already at Drumgrain with wife Margaret Hay and children Christina, John and William.

In 1851 Alexander Gordon, tailor, 48, born Knockando and his sister Elspet, 34, are at Kilmaichlie in Inveravon.

Drum(a)grain is a mile or so south of Balindalloch Castle https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1735 and if you follow the minor road past it for a mile or two you come to Kil(n)maichlie https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1832
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 July 22 11:46 BST (UK) »
I have been searching again for a Jean (Jane) Ann McKenzie sister to Henry with a Gordon connection, bit too many to guess.  Have also looked at William McKenzie and Ann Gordons born 1830/40s to be parents.
I will always believe there was something hidden about their births.  Eg Who married William born 1824 1st marriage?  He would have been in 40s.  Who did Ann McKenzie born 1840 marry and her other sisters? 
I will keep at it as I still believe there is no other family to examine.  Somewhere there is an army Gordon who influenced him, after seeing reference from Gordon of Khartoum.
I did find the christening of Christian at Nether Kirdelberg, Inveravon for James and Christina Collie in 1770.
Also a James born 1765 to Alexander in Aberlour - not sure of that one. I really want a Major General. Ha!
Thanks again.  I seem to have wasted your weekend.
Diane.👏🙂

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 July 22 12:38 BST (UK) »
Who did Ann McKenzie born 1840 marry
She married John Mackenzie.

From reply #13 above: William John Mackenzie, mother's surname Mackenzie, was born in Walsall and registered in the March quarter of 1868. The birth of Alexander Bruce Mackenzie, mother's surname Mackenzie, was registered in West Bromwich in the December quarter of 1869. In 1871 John McKensie, 30, born Scotland, is in Walsall with wife Annie, 30, born Scotland, and sons William J and Alexander Bruce. Looks as if John and Annie married in Birmingham on 5 September 1867.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 July 22 12:52 BST (UK) »
Alexander McKenzie, mother Gordon, died in Birnie in 1896 aged 74.

In the 1891 census Alexander Mckenzie, aged 69, born Cromdale, is a farmer in Birnie with wife Isabella and son William, 32, born Cromdale.

Probably William James McKenzie, born 27 August 1858 in Cromdale to Alexander McKenzie and Isabella McDonald.

Alexander's death certificate will tell you whether or not he was the son of William Mackenzie and Elspet Gordon, baptised in Cromdale on 20 September 1821.

Not that it will help with the search for Henry's birth.

I haven't found William b 1824 in any census after 1841 and there's no obvious death, so I don't know whom William married.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 July 22 15:59 BST (UK) »
Going right back to your very first post on this thread

Looking for Census 1871/1881 for Henry William McKenzie born 1869 in Inverness but no BC.
Remind me, please, why you originally thought Henry was born in 1869?

Parents William and Ann nee Gordon of Cromdale, Intervallan and Advie.
How did you know they were from Cromdale Inverallan and Advie? Where did that information come from?

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 19 July 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
When I first searched for Ann Gordon I found CIA.  My cousin who is much older than myself and lives far away thought she remembered the name Advie at the time.  She lived with my grandparents.
My grandfather died 1949 aged 80 at graveyard and also aged 29 on MC in 1898, however Jan 1890 says he is 23 8months making it 1866.
Still searching for marriages for Helen 1839, Ann 1840 (surprised you say John McKenzie when?), John 1842 is in Birmingham, and Elspet McKenzie 1844.  Who did she marry?
Thank you for sending me all the info on Alexander and brother and sister,  so interesting, however confused as Elspat Gordon still alive, Anne’s sister, so another Elspat he married 1st. I have quite a few William McKenzies in CIA since looking - far too many really to ascertain anything concrete.
I did find a marriage of a William and Mary Fraser in 1869 in Inverness but wondered if it was 1824 son.
Why you wonder!  I contacted my cousin hoping that she would remember more, as it is astounding how little she knows or remembers, but she said that she can remember him sometimes mentioning a Mary a sister or someone he knew.  That really through me off balance.  I didn’t want to hear that.
He talked a lot of the Gordons so definitely a connection of two families, but that may be it.  Many thanks for everything.  Diane.
Hope you are not too hot in Scotland.  London is suffering.  We are used to those temperatures in summer, and I am a keen swimmer and have been all my life.  My mother Jessie was named after her mother who was one of the first lady lifesavers in Western Australia.  Trivia.  🙋‍♀️

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 19 July 22 10:27 BST (UK) »
When I first searched for Ann Gordon I found CIA.  My cousin who is much older than myself and lives far away thought she remembered the name Advie at the time.  She lived with my grandparents.
So it didn't come from any documentary source.

Still searching for marriages for Helen 1839, Ann 1840 (surprised you say John McKenzie when?), John 1842 is in Birmingham, and Elspet McKenzie 1844.  Who did she marry?
There's no John Mackenzie in Birmingham in 1871 who could be yours. Are you thinking that the John McKensie in Walsall in 1871 is John b 1842 rather than his wife being Ann b 1840? You'd need to get their marriage certificate to see who their fathers were. She was definitely Mackenzie before her marriage because the birth listings of both boys on the GRO web site say so.

Thank you for sending me all the info on Alexander and brother and sister,  so interesting, however confused as Elspat Gordon still alive, Anne’s sister, so another Elspat he married 1st.
Yes, it has to be a different Elspet Gordon. But you'd need to get her death certificate to be absolutely sure.

I did find a marriage of a William and Mary Fraser in 1869 in Inverness but wondered if it was 1824 son.
The marriage certificate would tell you. But I don't think so.William Mackenzie and Mary Fraser had two children, Mary b 1871 and Charles b 1873. They are in the 1881 census in Nairn, and William is aged 60, born Nairn. So no, he is not William b 1824 in Cromdale.

Hope you are not too hot in Scotland.  London is suffering.  We are used to those temperatures in summer, and I am a keen swimmer and have been all my life.  My mother Jessie was named after her mother who was one of the first lady lifesavers in Western Australia.  Trivia.  🙋‍♀️
No. It was over 30ºC in Aboyne yesterday, but it is a good excuse for sitting in the shade in the garden reading a book :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 19 July 22 11:54 BST (UK) »
Ellen McKenzie married Samuel Bowman in CIA in 1870.

In the 1871 census Samuel Bowman, manager of a wholesale clothing department, and his wife Helen Bowman, 28 born Cromdale, Morayshire, are in Wigton, Cumberland, England.

In 1873 the birth of John Gordon McKenzie Bowman, mother's maiden surname McKenzie, was registered in Wigton.

In the 1881 census, at Burton on Trent, Staffordshire, are Ellen Bowman, 42, born Scotland; her son John G Bowman, 8 born Wigton; her sister Annie McKenzie, 40, born Scotland; and her niece Annie E McKenzie, 9, born Wigton.

Ellen Bowman, 47, died in Burton in 1886.

In 1891 Samuel Bowman, widower, tailor, born Scotland, is a patient in the Winson Green Workhouse hospital in Birmingham. 

Samuel Bowman, aged given as 45, died in Birmingham in 1891.

If you want to be sure that 'your' Helen/Ellen Mackenzie is the one who married Samuel Bowman, their marriage certificate will tell you.