Author Topic: Is the story about teeth removal true?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is the story about teeth removal true?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 May 22 15:07 BST (UK) »
After the start of the N H S  in mid 1948, many people felt that such a good offer - all teeth out, and flashy dentures  instead, was simply too good to miss! (Remember, many people had really bad trrth from quite a young age, dental care cost money, as did medical care, and there was somtimes something of an "It's all free, so let's have it"
TY
Hey, Diana, I've never got any wisdom teeth through yet, either!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 May 22 15:11 BST (UK) »
After the start of the N H S  in mid 1948, many people felt that such a good offer - all teeth out, and flashy dentures  instead, was simply too good to miss! (Remember, many people had really bad trrth from quite a young age, dental care cost money, as did medical care, and there was somtimes something of an "It's all free, so let's have it"
TY
Hey, Diana, I've never got any wisdom teeth through yet, either!

TY, think you are the only other person I've heard of who never had wisdom teeth.  I always say it's because I am more highly evolved  ;D.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 May 22 15:20 BST (UK) »
I too don't have any wisdom teeth. Seeing the trouble my husband had with just one wisdom tooth I am eternally grateful !
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 May 22 15:27 BST (UK) »
Likely the blessing of a recessive gene or two!

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 May 22 15:29 BST (UK) »
Found this online:

The lack of wisdom teeth is related to genes. A study carried out at Princeton University shows evolution has a large role to play in the absence of wisdom teeth. The study shows that the expanding brain size over hundreds and thousands of years meant that the head was no longer large enough to accommodate a larger brain and an extra set of teeth.

There, we are more highly evolved with big brains!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 15:10 BST (UK) »
My father never grew any wisdom teeth, either.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 19:34 BST (UK) »
I had the full complement of 32 teeth, which included the 4 wisdom teeth.  I remember my gums ached as they pushed and bullied their way into the daylight.

I once read that wisdom teeth don't erupt through the gums if there is no room.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
Some people donít have any develop in the jaw at all - I was X-rayed and there were none there.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 22:55 BST (UK) »
I had 3 wisdom teeth and all of them caused a lot of pain, a dental Ex-Ray revealed that I have an unerupted wisdom tooth in the top right gum, he asked if I wanted it taking out, I declined as it hasn't wanted to come in all these years so it can stay where it is  ;D
Going back to the original question, I can remember when I was growing up, some women having all their teeth removed during pregnancy as it was free.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU