Author Topic: Is the story about teeth removal true?  (Read 33894 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is the story about teeth removal true?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 01:27 BST (UK) »
No, there was no X-ray evidence of any wisdom teeth in my jaw - OH, who suffered a lot with his, says that means I'm not very wise.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 02:22 BST (UK) »
I had the full complement of 32 teeth, which included the 4 wisdom teeth.  I remember my gums ached as they pushed and bullied their way into the daylight.

I once read that wisdom teeth don't erupt through the gums if there is no room.

They may not but they can still cause problems and can emerge at odd angles.

Mine all emerged in my late teens. I had them pulled out. On the other hand, my younger brother had his back molars extracted, so his wisdom teeth could come up in their place. I think if you can time this right, it is the best option.

Both of my daughters had all four of their wisdom teeth surgically removed under general anaesthetic when they were about 19/20. Many of their friends had the same thing done - some before problems occurred and some after. I think that the reason that this happens more these days is that no one wants a crowded mouth with crooked teeth, which is something that would have been tolerated more readily in the past.

Everyone is different and some people have enough room for wisdoms, though many don’t.  :)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 07:38 BST (UK) »
My grandmother had hers removed aged 21 by a man knocking  at the door and saying “Im pulling teeth” so she thought it would be a good idea.

She had the same set of false ones into her 80’s . You can imaging the picture when she started laughing

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 23:30 BST (UK) »
I had the full complement of 32 teeth, which included the 4 wisdom teeth.  I remember my gums ached as they pushed and bullied their way into the daylight.

I once read that wisdom teeth don't erupt through the gums if there is no room.

They may not but they can still cause problems and can emerge at odd angles.

Mine all emerged in my late teens. I had them pulled out. On the other hand, my younger brother had his back molars extracted, so his wisdom teeth could come up in their place. I think if you can time this right, it is the best option.

Both of my daughters had all four of their wisdom teeth surgically removed under general anaesthetic when they were about 19/20. Many of their friends had the same thing done - some before problems occurred and some after. I think that the reason that this happens more these days is that no one wants a crowded mouth with crooked teeth, which is something that would have been tolerated more readily in the past.

Everyone is different and some people have enough room for wisdoms, though many don’t.  :)

My 15 year old grandfather signed his 12 year old brother's death certificate in 1878.  He died during surgery having his wisdom tooth extracted
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jesgardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 May 22 10:05 BST (UK) »
I was told that my Aunt went in to have one of her teeth removed and was put under a general anaesthetic. She woke up to find all her teeth had been removed! This would have been in the 40's or 50's.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 15:25 BST (UK) »
Mum b 1916 and dad  b1909 both had dentures early, mum before marriage in her mid twenties and she only said the teeth needed to come out, unsure if her 4 sisters close in age did likewise, dad had his teeth out while in the army as he had gum disease.

I'm another with no wisdom teeth, think all my siblings got theirs though and know husband and one of our daughters suffered a bit with theirs. Husband had great dental care in his army years and has looked after them well since, we've both spent a small fortune on dentists visits and had a couple of necessary extractions but so thankful not to have dentures yet and all our siblings the same. His parents kept their own teeth until the end but at great expense too in the later years, father in law wore his down and actually had dentures he could wear over the top but rarely did! Our children have beautiful teeth without even a filling, unlike us and our era with years of drilling! 

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 17:39 BST (UK) »
I had my wisdom teeth out for over-crowding but apart from that, I've never had any dental work, not even a single filling. I'm hoping to keep it this way until the final curtain.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 May 22 06:24 BST (UK) »
That's amazing Mike, obviously your childhood dental nurses weren't as ruthless with their drills as ours, we had really good nourishment and no frequent access to sweets and fizzy drinks etc as our children had and seemingly no issues before dental visit but still occasionally came out with a filling. Our water wasn't fluoridated back then though and now is in most areas.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 May 22 06:58 BST (UK) »
It is the mineral content of the water in Cumbria (and other parts of England) Mare.
Here in NZ we don’t have that advantage.

You know how their kettles always fill up with chalk deposit, whereas ours do not….
And soap doesn’t lather up the same…