Author Topic: Mass Observation Day 2022  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Observation Day 2022
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 May 22 16:26 BST (UK) »

Now to get on with other jobs of the day… like cleaning the house… not sure I should be doing it having had cataract op Tuesday last week but hey ho can’t leave it for ever!
Gardening apparently a no no until after I’ve been back for my 4 wk check with the opticians….

Aren't housework and gardening in the same category of activities? Someone who didn't like gardening described it as outdoor housework.
Cowban

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 May 22 16:30 BST (UK) »
Never thought if it that way LM! Unlike housework I like being in the garden!

Raining today so no outside housework today 😂😂.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 May 22 17:15 BST (UK) »
I have also got round to having written and emailed my diary today.  I have just received email back confirming it has been received.
I would encourage people to participate.  One day, perhaps, a family descendant might come looking for you (as we search for ancestors now) and these diaries might be some of the dropped pebbles that will lead them to find you.
I would have loved it, if there was a written day in the life of a Great Grandmother recording what she did and how she might have felt about personal things and things going on in the world.
I cannot say I am particularly enamoured of either indoor or outdoor housework, although come what may it has to be done. :P ;)
I'm confused Caroline, isn't it Maiden Stone not LM you are replying to in last post?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 May 22 18:53 BST (UK) »
I have just emailed my diary, I wasn't going to do one this year as the day was extremely boring. Like so many others the last twelve months have been sad at times,

we had to say goodbye to the last two of our families wartime generation, they both were in their 90's and were so tired.

We also have a new member of the family, the little fella in my avatar, he decided to come and live with us. We think he'd probably been thrown out. He is most definitely in charge and all the family are besotted with him.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 May 22 19:12 BST (UK) »
I am willing to bet your day was TEDIOUS Bearnan, not boring.
It's all according to your perception.
Well done for finding something to write about. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 May 22 19:30 BST (UK) »
Either way mowsehowse I was cheered up in the evening when my daughter told me she'd got us tickets for the Commonwealth Games - Mens hockey bronze medal match on her birthday.  :)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 May 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
You’re absolutely right RTL… and I thought having my cataract done would improve my eyesight…. Clearly not in this instance 😂😂😂.

No days are boring they’re just different and one persons boring is another’s exciting!

How lovely Bearnan to be given tickets for the commonwealth games.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 May 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
Brilliant.
It's always good to have something to look forward to.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 May 22 20:02 BST (UK) »
Had a good busy day, finished planting and a tidy up - only the garden,the house looks as if vandals have been in!
Started sunny but brisk and is softly raining now.
Tired now but that good tiredness, not the bored tiredness.

Read the meters today, my monthly payments by direct debit have gone up as agreed ,I was not willing to go the whole hog and increase to £250 per month from £90 ,if a shortfall It will be adjusted by a one off payment at the year end , so I increased to £150 , we will see.
I intend to get a small wall mounted water heater in the kitchen ,my sink is so far from the boiler ,yards and yards of water already in the pipe needs to be run off before it runs hot ,fill the bowl, rinse , then the the full length of the pipe is left full of hot  water going cold!
The bathroom is directly over the boiler so hot water almost instantly there.
You only heat what  you need with a simple wall mounted heater.
Ninety percent of the time I am washing up for only one .
It might seem a retrograde step ,but it will be economical .
I like scalding hot water for washing up and rinsing.

Neighbour has had another small fall ,I heard a bump yesterday at about six in the morning.
It sounded like a car door being slammed.But I had been asleep ,normally if she is up I hear the cistern re- filling ,but not this time,all was silent so I nodded off again for a while.
She seems quite shaken this time ,is in bed , her daughter has been coming and going all day. She  lives close by but drives for haste.

Well a nice bath to minimise aches and pains then bed.
I bought a book of Maths and Arithmetic tests ,English and Intelligence tests.
For admittance to Grammar School ,a bit like the Eleven Plus .
I am doing O.K .
But have forgotten what a Cwt was , a Quarter ,Ton too, so not so good on those sums but the others OK.
Good fun.

Well another cuppa , then  Antiques Road Show, bath and perhaps an early night but Morse is on late, he is so like my OH.was.
Those blue eyes and white hair!  ;)
Viktoria.