Author Topic: HICKS, burial  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
HICKS, burial
« on: Monday 02 May 22 20:39 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for a burial for Madeline Lydia Hicks born 14 June, 1909. She appears with her family at Brunswick Street, York in 1911, but nothing afterwards.

She was institutionalized as a young child, so I was thinking Boothham Park or Broadgate?  Are any records available for those hospitals?

I cannot find an obvious death reg for her - closest is Lydia M in 1965 in Holderness, and the birth date is out by a couple of years?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Linda

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HICKS, burial
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
Is she Madge on the 1911 census?  If so, she is not with William and Lydia and family on the 1921 Census but there is an entry that looks like it is her.
Madge Hicks born 1909 York, in Leeds in 1921. She is listed alone so it may be an institution.
You can buy the image for £3.50 from FindMyPast, you don't need  a subscripton, just free membership.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 22 21:31 BST (UK) »
1939 Register
Madge Hicks born 14th June 1909 in Brandesburton Hall, Holderness, Yorkshire,

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 22 22:37 BST (UK) »
Oh wow it probably is her death reg then!

I looked in the 1921 census - thank you! She was living at Meanwood Park Colony, Leeds, a “home” for the mentally infirm.  Seems like Brandesburton was a similar place. Poor girl….

Why didn’t I think of looking under Madge!

Many thanks again.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 22 22:44 BST (UK) »
She is on the 1939 register as Madge
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 22 23:07 BST (UK) »
Brandsburton Hall Hospital, Brandsburton, East Yorkshire is a listed building. It's not far from where I live.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 00:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol.  Apparently a lot of the patients were buried in St. Mary’s church, Brandsburton, so that is a possibility.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 02:01 BST (UK) »
I'm not certain the 1965 death is Madge. See what you think.
There is a Lydia May Hicks b Dec qtr 1906 Newcastle upon Tyne. On the 1939 Register there is a Lydia M Hicks who is b 27 Aug 1906 and living as a servant, single in Bradford.
There is a newspaper report in 1943 in Shipley about a Lydia M Hicks (50) domestic servant who stole from her employer. I know the age is wrong. She is a native of Newcastle on Tyne and the death of a previous employer is mentioned. The employer on the 1939 entry died 1940. It also mentions her sister lives in Darlington and on the 1921 census there is this entry.
Lydia Meay Hicks 1906 Newcastle upon Tyne, living in Darlington with her parents. Details match 1911 census.
The article says she is now living in Darlington with her sister but she may have returned to Yorkshire.

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 14:07 BST (UK) »
 Ahhhh… ???  Certainly a possibility.  I might bite the bullet and order the death certificate.
There is a Madge Hicks dying in 1946, age 36, in Derbyshire, but probably a bit of a stretch.
From what I read the patients were moved out of Brandsburton during WWll to open it up for troops, but it doesn’t say if and when they were brought back, so she could potentially be anywhere?