Author Topic: Kilgour / Milne / Dundas - Aberdeen  (Read 557 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kilgour / Milne / Dundas - Aberdeen
« on: Tuesday 03 May 22 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hoping to connect the dots! In my family tree I have a Jean/Jane Kilgour (1781 - 1846) who married a John Dundas (1781 - 1857). There is a memorial inscription in St Machar's Churchyard Aberdeen, which says: "MILNE - In memory of John Milne, at Woodside, this stone is erected to his memory by his affectionate spouse, Katherien (Katherine?) Kilgour, d. 30 July 1830 aged 88 years; also Helen, d 30 July 1830, daughter of Benjamine Dundas, age 2 years 10 months; David Hobbs Dundas, son of Joseph Dundas, d 16 October 1841, age 2 years 7 months; likewise Jean Kilgour, spouse of John Dundas, Spirit Dealer, d 31 January 1849 age 69 years." The above names fit with what I also know. Following this up, I accessed the Will of Katherine Kilgour from Scotland's People and Jean Kilgour is also mentioned as a minor beneficiary along with various others including "Alexander Kilgour, surgeon"..."Alexander Kilgour, Printfield" and "John Kilgour, Rothiemay, Banffshire". I have never been able to figure out the connection between Jean/Jane Kilgour and Katherine Kilgour... (sister? mother? aunt?)... and also between Katherine Kilgour and Alexander Kilgour, who I believe was an eminent doctor in Aberdeen (I believe there is an MI for him in St Peter's Cemetery, Aberdeen). Any help much appreciated!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilgour / Milne / Dundas - Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 13:04 BST (UK) »
From a quick look at the censuses and the ScotlandsPeople indexes:

Robert Kilgour's marriage to Christian Forbes is recorded in Aberdeen on 25-4-1801.

Looking at Kilgour deaths with mother's maiden name Forbes we get:

Jane Kilgour d Nigg, Kincardineshire 1872, aged 70
Alexander Kilgour (the surgeon) d Nigg, Kincardineshire 1874, aged 70
Harriet Anne Kilgour, d Old Machar, Aberdeen, 1881, aged 61
There was also a sister, Christian (see 1861 below)

Jane and Harriet did not marry. In 1851 Jane is described as a gentlewoman supported by her brother. Harriet, who is living with her is described as a gentlewoman. Also present is a nephew, Patrick Kilgour, aged 17, a student.

In 1861, Jane and Harriet, both described as annuitants, are living with a nephew, George Carr, who is a doctor. He was born in 1835 to Robert Carr and Christian Kilgour.

In 1871, Jane Kilgour is living at Green Arbour Cottage, Nigg, and is described as an annuitant. With her is a niece transcribed as Margaret "Corn", but it should probably be "Carr".

From the Dundee Courier 21-2-1874:

At Loirston House, Aberdeen, on the
19th inst., Alexander Kilgour, M.D.

Loirston is in the parish of Nigg, just south of Aberdeen.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 18:12 BST (UK) »
GR2 - Thank you very much for taking the time to look at this. The information gives some background to Alexander Kilgour MD. What I would really like to do is give some more information in the hope that I can connect the Katherine Kilgour (spouse of John Milne) mentioned on the St Machar gravestone and whose Will I have downloaded to Jane/Jean Kilgour (spouse of John Dundas). She was born circa 1775-1780. I believe they married in 1804.The gravestone gives the details of Jane/Jeans death in January 1849. Her spouse John Dundas was a grocer/spirit dealer who had a shop at the corner of Hutcheon St. He died 6 October 1857. In Katherine Kilgour's Will various people are mentioned:

“The 3 sons now in life of Peter Kilgour, my nephew, residing in Dundee…”

“Joseph Kilgour, my nephew, late Sergeant in the 42nd Regiment…”

“William Kilgour, my nephew formerly serving in the militia…”

“John Dundas…” (not sure of relationship)

“Jean Kilgour… wife of the said John Dundas…”

“Joseph Dundas, my nephew, son to John Dundas, weaver in Aberdeen…”

“William and Ann (brother and sister of John Dundas)…”

I believe I have information regarding some of the nephews but I have no information to connect Jane/Jean to Katherine which would explain the gravestone inscription and also the Dr Kilgour connection in the Will... if that makes sense!!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 06:28 BST (UK) »
Further to the above... I have located a military record for a Joseph Kilgour... who just happens to be a Sergeant in the 42nd Militia... born at the correct time!! He left the military in 1823 as well... so he fits the bill as Katherine Kilgour's nephew... a 'former Sgt in the militia' at the time Katherine wrote her Will in 1830. He was born in 'Grantown, Cromdale, Inverness-shire.'

Another family mentioned in her 1830 Will are 'Benjamin Berry, son of John Berry, shoemaker, Windmill Brae; Joseph Berry, his brother; the children of John Berry by his wife, my niece.' I'm now trying to find the link between Katherine Kilgour and the Berry family. I have found a marriage in the Old Parish Registers for Echt of John Berry and Elspet Kilgour in February 1769 - could be a clue perhaps... and 3 children of this marriage (from FamilySearch) appear to be Isabel (Echt, 1769); Jean (Peterculter, 1785) and Anne (Peterculter, 1788).

There is a record for a 'Joseph Berry Kilgour' on Ancestry in the 'UK Registers of Service, 1756-1900'. I am keen to find out if he is the same one as the Sergeant mentioned above or if this could be a further clue in my quest! I do not have the upgraded Ancestry and wondered if someone would be kind enough to look up this file for me and see if there are any additional details that could be useful.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 09:23 BST (UK) »
Joseph Kilgour, born Cromdale, near Grantown.

Served in the 3rd Battalion Argyll Fencibles from 17-7-1798 to 3-7-1802
Served in the 42nd, latterly as a sergeant, from 5-7-1802 (attested at Glasgow) to 16-6-1823

5' 8", black hair, hazel eyes, swarthy complexion - chronic rheumatism

Labourer by occupation

Was 25 in 1802. Was about 46 in 1823 on discharge.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for this ! It looks like it’s the same file.  Was he listed on your search as Joseph Berry Kilgour? On the original document I saw I don’t think his middle name was mentioned at all… so where would that have come from, I wonder? Thanks again for looking.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 15:16 BST (UK) »
I searched on FindMyPast. The original document and their index just say Joseph Kilgour, no Berry.

It is not exactly unknown for folk on some sites just to make things up to suit themselves.

In Scotland, middle names are very scarce until you get into the 19th century. What you will sometimes find is the Smiths' child being christened John and the name being recorded in the register as John Smith. However, he was called John after his maternal grandfather, John McDonald, so you sometimes find him signing himself John McDonald Smith in later years.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this! I am gradually putting together all the pieces… it might take a while though!! Many thanks again for all your help… much appreciated.