Author Topic: Can thru lines help ?  (Read 404 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Can thru lines help ?
« on: Wednesday 04 May 22 12:11 BST (UK) »
Is having zero thru lines to two sets of 2 X great grandparents an indication that there may be an adoption or illegitimacy on the lines ?

Looking at my own DNA results I have thru lines to  10 of my 16   2x ggparents
No counting lines that are only thru their grandchildren
On my mother's side the one I don't have connections to only had 2 children  ( one has no living descendants the other has a  grand son who is DNA match but has not linked his tree) I have proof of tree accuracy thru links to descendants of her uncles and aunts

On my paternal Scottish side
I have a 2 couples  of ggparents and a second wife of one gfather who only link thru grandchildren

Looking further generations back And at my aunt's DNA results I can find connections to most except my namesake couple .

These are my aunt's( my father's) great grandparents  both have links to 3 of their sons but none of their siblings. Uncles or aunts 
She has no thru lines to her top 4 great great great grandparents
Also no close DNA links with these 3 surnames but we do have some 30 - 50 cm links where another couple from 1840s feature repeatedly .

Any opinions ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can thru lines help ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
Is having zero thru lines to two sets of 2 X great grandparents an indication that there may be an adoption or illegitimacy on the lines ?

Not necessarily.

What Ancestry seem to do is look through your matches to find someone who has a tree that might match your ancestor. If it does it makes a link. Some are correct but many of them seem way out (they usually have evaluate written on the image}. For example,  I have one case  that links to a maternal  surname Rogers(from Shropshire) which, when checked, she is actually related through a paternal line  (in Merionethshire ).

If you have no link showing, it is possible that matches haven't got a tree or their trees don't have a matching name.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 15:10 BST (UK) »
I also have no thrulines to two sets of my great grandparents. But I have DNA matches to at least three people who are descended from one set of those great grandparents and one DNA match to one person descended from the other set, its just that none of them have trees on Ancestry or have not linked them to their DNA results. One 2 x great grandfather (father of one of the above great grandmothers) shows 7 thrulines, but there should be more as I have several 3rd cousins with a huge (identical) error in their tree.

My OH has no thrulines at all, simply because he hasn't got round to putting his tree on Ancestry.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 15:15 BST (UK) »
The couple from the 1840s who appear a lot with your 30 - 50 cM matches - have you checked the trees are right.
As I said, I have no thrulines to several of my 3rd cousins because of an error which is repeated over several trees.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online phil57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 16:04 BST (UK) »
As above, thrulines mean absolutely nothing other than that Ancestry's algorithm has detected possible relationships to a line in your tree, based on information from other user trees. The information in those trees may be wrong and always needs checking thoroughly by doing your own research into the proposed lines before accepting any of it, in my experience. Conversely, other trees may be correct and yours may be wrong. Either way, it all needs to be checked for accuracy, as Ancestry have no way of checking that any proposed thru lines are correct, only that they appear to match a software calculation that has recognised potential relationship patterns between two or more member trees.

I have no thrulines to one of my Great Grandfathers. The reason is that every other member tree on Ancestry in which he appears, wrongly identifies him as a different man with the same name, although born into a different family in the same year and location. Consequently the ancestral line is completely wrong and will never match against my tree through Ancestry's algorithm. How do I know that all the other trees are wrong and mine is correct? Because I have copies of his marriage certificate and the birth certificates for all of his children, which between them contain information that differentiates the two similarly named individuals and makes it certain which is correct. One or several other trees have been constructed without fully researching the two people concerned, and the incorrect lineage has spread through the common practice of people accepting information from other member trees without making any checks!
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies

I suspect that the top of my own tree could be wrong

Thru lines have worked well for me for other matches especially as I know quite a lot of my second cousins .

The couple we have 5 matches are James ARBUCKLE  1856 and Mary Ann SHREEVE
They ended up in salt lake city and some of the trees are large and well researched with photos too.

The highest match has traced the Arbuckle line to Pollockshaw Renfrewshire Scotland
James b 1814 m Agnes THOMSON
His father Andrew m Jean MAUCHAN

So the locations match mine

They match another broup of people who have ancestors in Canada leaving Glasgow old monkland or Ayrshire early 1800.s but with surnames ANDERSON JOHNSTON ROBERTSON it's hard to find connections .

Ive created a floating branch on my tree and am marking who I have DNA matches to

The names we would have connections to if biology matched the tree are MACDERMID RENFREW MCFARLANE REID .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 16:51 BST (UK) »
I'm sure that Duncan MacDermid b 1829 is my 2x great grandfather as we also match descendants of his brother Walter
 there are no connections to his wife Agnes MCFARLANE or her parents .

Maybe Duncan's father was not John MacDermid  a soldier  and Agnes RENFREW'S 
2 other sons died young and their only daughter never married

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 17:01 BST (UK) »
I think if matches put different spellings or punctuation like brackets or question marks the person doesn't show as a match

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 22 18:51 BST (UK) »
I have found a connection for MacDermid to Machan if that is my 6xggmothers surname but it would make these people 5th cousins or 6th cousins or once removed to my aunt

Looking at another set of 4xggparents she  has 32 matches that show up on thru lines or potential thru lines

The ones I've checked ARE  5th cousins or 5th cousins once removed and mostly 10 - 20cms
The lowest is 9cm highest is 25cm

So  I think there must also be a closer match
There were  some cousin marriages in our lines apparently so that could make a difference