Author Topic: Anna Barna  (Read 514 times)

Offline Muflon1976

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anna Barna
« on: Thursday 05 May 22 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody

Might somebody can give me some advice.I'm looking for information about Anna Barna.
Birth Name : Anna Braun name changed in 1911 in Budapest Hungary.
Birth date : 1901 August 24
Birth Place : Budapest Hungary
Mother: Janka Kohn
Father : Kalman Braun
Nationality: by birth Hungarian but when she entered the USA she was stateless

She arrived to the US 1946 October  used the name Anna Barna in her passenger card and lived in New York City.

I'm looking for any information but I have two particular questions.

Her Alien file number 6464756 but I did not find any reference for this in National Archives online catalogue. Any way to see this file exist ? I can request an index search but before I do that I thought might ask around.

From oral history I know she was murdered in New York in the 1960's. I did not find any death certificate or any newspaper reference which might support this.Any idea might where can find out about a murder in New York city ?

Thanks

Gy

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Barna
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 22 14:05 BST (UK) »

She arrived to the US 1946 October  used the name Anna Barna in her passenger card and lived in New York City.

According to the passenger list, Anna was going to a friend in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Line 6 -Images 1088-1089

Passenger List: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24GT-K39

Offline Muflon1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 22 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Yes I follow up that lead  and I  found  Estella Dobo's grandkids. They did not know anything about Anna Barna.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 22 14:32 BST (UK) »
Index to petitions for naturalization in New York City.

Anna Barna   24 Aug 1901 - Aged   50 years
Naturalization Date 11 Feb 1952 - Residence New York, New York Location of Court New York Southern District.  Residing 131 W  15 th Street  NY.  Alien Redg. 6464756

1950 census - New York.

Anna Barna - 1901 Hungary - aged 49 years - never married. Head of house. Marked "U" equals unable to work.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Muflon1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 22 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I did not find her naturalisation anywhere . Or the 1952 are not available yet ? I need to double check this. Thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 22 15:28 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Muflon1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 May 22 15:38 BST (UK) »
Yes its the same Anna. It's the photographer.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 May 22 16:00 BST (UK) »

Background  - In the 1953-1954 telephone directory Anna Barna’s  address changes to 200 West 21st Street. Still in the  postal code of 11, 200 West 21st Street is situated at
the southwest corner of Seventh Avenue. Her telephone  number remained OR5-6228, a number she also retained  when she subsequently moved to 220 West 21st Street
in 1954-1955, a seven-story building erected in 1920. A draft registration record reveals that André and Elizabeth  Kertész lived at 152 West 20th Street in the early 1940s,
possibly until their move to 31 East 12th Street in 1944, which was followed by their transition to 2 Fifth Avenue  in 1952. Is it a coincidence that Anna Barna lived in such
proximity? Today both 200 and 220 West 21st Street  maintain their original residential status, with the former having commercial businesses on the ground floor. The last listing for Anna Barna in the New York telephone book is at the 220 West 21st Street address, which appears in the 1964-1965 directory.  With this clue in hand, a record of the death on  November 21, 1964, of a woman named Anna Barna was  brought to light in the 1964 volume Deaths Reported in  the City of New York. Anna Barna is a relatively common  name. Was it our Anna Barna? The age of death listed in
the entry is 67, but the date of birth stated on the petition of naturalization for the Anna Barna we are seeking is August 24, 1901, which would have made her age 64 in  November of 1964. The borough of the recorded death  is Queens, not Manhattan. A medical examiner’s case
number is not stated, which if she was murdered, as per  André Kertész’s assertion, a medical examiner’s report would seem warranted. etc etc

https://vintage.hu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/BARNA.pdf

Offline Muflon1976

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 22 16:08 BST (UK) »
Yes I read this before  and its a bit help but the Anna Barna died in 1964 November 21. in Queens its not her . That Anna Barna born 1883. The Anna Barna Im looking for born in 1901.I can rule out this Anna Barna death's the  writer of this catalogue talking about it. I dont see any Anna Barnas death fit the photographer Anna Barna.