Author Topic: Oscar Graffunder - Hackney hairdresser b 1879  (Read 994 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar Graffunder - Hackney hairdresser b 1879
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 May 22 18:19 BST (UK) »
They also have a marriage in Berlin, 14 January 1929.
Oskar Wilhelm Graffunder, born 4 April 1879
+
Anna Margarete Bohse, born 30 Dec 1899.
Born (maiden name) Hanteufel*.

Is this the same man?

*That name might be spelt wrong?

Offline Hilaryldn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oscar Graffunder - Hackney hairdresser b 1879
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 May 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your information. I am totally in awe of your research skills.

That looks very much like Oscar renting the house in Popham Road 1904 for three years. That would put them there in 1906 for the birth of the triplets, then on to 366 Mare Street for the 1911 census and Navarino Mansions, Dalston Lane for the birth of Oscar junior in 1914.

We now know that Oscar is interned first in Alexandra Palace and then at Knockaloe on the Isle of Man, before being deported in January 1919. I have requested information from the Knockaloe archives but are there any records of departing boats of deported Germans? Would Mary Ann and five-year-old Oscar be travelling with him, or would they have been deported from their own country to a country they have never been to before separately? I am struggling to know where they have been while Oscar has been interned. Presumably, Mary Ann would have had no income and would have had to move out of Navarino Mansions. Various sisters are in the area (presumably the ones she thought were sneering) but I cannot locate her with any of them. The suicide attempt in August 1915 is recorded as "North London". I would have called Dalston east London, so perhaps that is clue?

Thank you for confirming that that death certificate is her. Does it give an address or a cause of death? (I could have sworn you had posted the certificate, but I cannot see it now. I didn't have time to properly examine it yesterday.) I really hope that her earlier suicide attempt is not repeated - she has certainly had a rough time, poor Mary Ann.

That very much looks like Oscar remarrying to Anna Margarete Bohse. Does he give an address or an occupation?

And finally, I wonder if there is any way of finding out what happens to Oscar junior. I presume he is still alive at the time the family are deported as I can see no death recorded in London. Any information on that would be amazing.

Thank you again for your help. I am extremely grateful.