Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 15th May  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 15th May
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 10:02 BST (UK) »
Well my pond is absolutely enormous!
 I also tells lies !
Mine is a little one,raised because of my tiddler grandson visiting overnight etc when just a very little toddler.
I am almost embarrassed to say the size, let’s say there are hearth rugs bigger!

Just bought a base liner for it from Pondkeeper ,small pebbles fused on to a backing ,the liner is black so can get warm in hot weather this with white/cream pebbles will lessen that.
Loose pebbles are such a fag , to remove ,clean,them ,clean the pond ,pump out the gubbins then put back , refill and leave for a couple of days etc etc.
Well the pump and filter will be a real boon when set up but need number one son to help ,and  he and his wife have buzzed off to York !  >:(
It’s only  their  W.A !
Don’t worry, nature will perhaps benefit from a pond left for a while .
I did not want one that would be a burden as I get older ,same with the gardens,back and front.
In other words I am rather lazy!
I can live with myself  ::)
Hope you feel better soon.
Viktoria.
P.S. A post of mine re the new baby etc has disappeared ,but congratulations and what a lot of loveliness to come .
Enjoy ,every minute ,  the time will whizz by.
V.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 22 06:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks kindly folks, your previous reply is end of last week thread where I was catching up with those days Viktoria, cheers for that. Baby is doing nicely with her besotted family.

Beautiful clear day but a cooler start, some will have had their first frost for the year further south, perfect for our picnic in the park. First time I've entered a shop without a mask today since introduced, sheer oversight for some reason and it was luckily a quiet charity store, I was even quite critical in mind of how a customer was wearing his before I realised and put mine on! His looked a well used disposable one loosely stretched over ears and below his nose and bunched across his beard! Noticed a few others without one as well coming in and at staff changeover, no signs at door as some places do as reminder, husband has quite a few times come back to the car for his mask absentmindedly setting off without it but I always have spares in my bag.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 22 11:05 BST (UK) »
"Some may be familiar with Lanzoprazole, for control of severe indigestion, often caused by heart medicines."
I have been put on that now.  :'(
I was so happy the meds had been reduced for the last couple of years, but it has all gone up again.
Doh......
Congratulations to Mare, and happy birthday to FH.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 May 22 14:47 BST (UK) »
YIPPEE!
Grand daughter just phoned to say she has passed her finals in her Accountancy exams .
She has really applied herself even through quite serious illness.
It has taken a good while but she has worked with days  released and night classes.
So has no student loan debt .

We will have to celebrate , asap , with regards to Covid etc,we are all still acting cautiously.

Well Flash Harry had a lovely day seemingly ,took buns in to school he and his Mummy made .
He has baked a lot with my daughter his Nanny -I am Grandma as his Daddy calls me that.
His Daddy  when very small used to call my mother in law “ grandma great “.

Lovely sunny day but a very fresh wind.

Being lazy this morning ,I decided not to get the shredder out for some
documents with details ,so tore off addresses etc and started to burn them in an old biscuit tin I have for ,that- well the wind got up quite strong and flaming papers were flying around the garden ,I could see the fence going up in flames ! However the wind actually blew out the flames, but paper ash blowing about now.

Quick tea tonight cheese omelette with salad,defrosting chicken and vegetable casserole for tomorrow.

I don’t understand people not having their masks over their nose !
Surely the fact that nasal swabs are the way we test make it obvious noses should be in the masks not just mouths!

Hope everyone is alright ,I know quite a number are not well ,struggling with health issues etc but hopefully they can feel positive sometimes at least.
If good wishes help ,and so many are running through RootChat , let’s hope those struggling do feel better.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 May 22 15:14 BST (UK) »
Congratulations  to your grandaughter passing her exams, student loans, I dare  not  think  how  much  my grandaughter  has racked up,   this year doing her masters, I  just  hope it all pays  off, then she has this scatterbrained  idea  of having to a gap  year to go traveling,  she will  be nearly 24  by the time she  has  decided  to return from her travels and  get  a job.

I use a shredder  but we  are  not  allowed  to  put the shreddings into the paper  bin, has to go into the everyday  bin yet it is all paper

I watered  my garden  yesterday, it is such  hard  ground, trying to get  it ready  for  plants, then   short time after the heavens  opened,  my water  butt is  now full, alot brighter today  but I still  feel  chilly

Nice to see Mowsehouse appear  this  morning,  I have problems with  some medication that actually irritate  my stomach which is a real  nuisance.

I don't  feel  I  am  going to last the day,  I  have  been very industrious  today and cleaned  windows, paintwork  and nets   upstairs, next to do downstairs  but not  today,  my get  up and  go has  got up and went !!,

Keep safe everyone

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 22 20:04 BST (UK) »
Went to see the twins Tuesday - Darcy finally walking (some 4 months after sister Macy).   So proud of herself, keeps clapping!  Kept wanting to give kisses to her Mum and I.   Trouble is she does this with mouth open and tongue out!!!   Bless her!

Luke, who passed his driving test first time a few weeks ago now has a car - a Ford Focus like mine and his Mum's (was previously his paternal grandmothers).

This afternoon I visited my nephews family - nice to see his 4 girls again.   They are so loving.  The 2 eldest (Amelia 15 in August and Scarlett 13) have both now got braces.   I remember people used to hate having them but not these two.   Happy to have them as if it's some kind of status symbol.   Scarlett developed a growth spurt this year.   Getting taller and slimmer too.

My Mum always loved watching the Eurovision Song Contest and since she died in 1992 my sister and I have always watched it together in her memory.   Mind you, it has changed to much don't think Mum would like it now.   Jane and I are meeting our friends Saturday afternoon for a coffee and chat and then I'll go over to Jane's for the ritual.

Aside from that, not much to report.   Need to get some more bedding plants whilst still available.

Hope those under the weather are improving and that we all continue to stay safe.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 May 22 20:38 BST (UK) »
So  nice to hear  about the twins Annette,  they aren't babies  for  long are they?

Braces, years ago children hated them  but you are right, they do think it is some sort of status symbol, my daughter had them in when she was 14, 38  years ago but it does  seem to be quite common now,  possibly the  dentists  are  much better and  more  up to date with modern technology

I am  in  need of a dress for  my grandaughters graduation, I got rid of all  my dresses last  year, sleeves to short, do you think I  can  find a suitable day dress, no I can't,  the dress I  did  get the waist is not where  my waist is, always a problem,  spent tbe whole day out on Tuesday with  no joy at all,  the dress I did get  has to go back, so I am really fed  up

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 May 22 22:04 BST (UK) »
I like straight up and down dresses ,no waist , flattering if nicely slightly tapered towards the hemline and then a good sized hat ,we used to call them picture hats ,plain ,and it is dateless and very smart .
No waist also makes you seem taller, so you can carry well a largish hat .
Sleeves are usually three quarter length.
Sometimes they were called coat dresses
Not sure where would have such a dress.

I seldom wear dresses and skirts nowadays.
Live in trousers ,but they keep changing them,narrow,straight, wide, etc .
  Hope you find something.

The twins have been interesting haven’t they ,little miracles.
Our baby dumpling is coming on, holding a rusk now ,hard like dog biscuits so she can’t actually get pieces off .

Well an earlier night tonight I think ,prescriptions delivered tomorrow, so must be up and dressed .

Hope you find what you want LM.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 May 22 22:27 BST (UK) »
It has sort of felt like a day of coincidence for me.
I woke up far too early, but was so awake I thought I might as well read.  I am reading a non fiction book at the moment 'D-Day' by Giles Milton.  The accounts of the invasion are quite jaw dropping; it is hard to imagine having to go through something like that.  Aside from that there is an incident in the book that I found quite amusing.  Apparently, someone called Lord Lovat asked his piper to walk up and down playing his bagpipes as the invasion was underway.  Someone called the piper a 'mad b*' and asked what he thought he was doing attracting all the attention of the Germans.  Later on, however, two captured Germans said that they hadn't shot him because they couldn't believe their eyes, they thought he was 'dumkopf' - 'simple minded'.
Well, I laughed out loud, it sounded like quite a surreal scene that someone would march up and down, seemingly unfazed, and playing music amidst all that which was going on.  Then I thought I should stop laughing - the walls are thin and goodness knows what the neighbours might think at that time in the morning.
Later, in the afternoon, after I had been to the supermarket I was walking to the bus stop when I thought I could hear bagpipes.  When I got to the stop I saw a woman who was watching over the road, and would you believe it a man was standing in the street playing bagpipes!  I told the woman I thought I had been hallucinating.  A man came along to the stop and said "Oh, I see Davie's out with his pipes.  That's Davie the fireman.  His lass doesn't like him to play inside"... he added "the neighbours want to shoot him." and he laughed.  Well, I could understand that; I love the sound of bagpipes but if I was on nightshift I think I'd probably want to shoot him too.  When the bus came, the bus driver seemed a bit mesmerised too, and the man took up again, telling him "That's Davie the fireman .."
 Shame that didn't happen yesterday, as if it had perhaps I could have mentioned it in my mass observation diary that I still have to write.
Nothing much happened yesterday.  Just to and from work on the buses.  Had a back shift.  Risked having a drink before I left home but then had to dash in M&S toilets once I reached Newcastle.  Quite a queue.  There's more upstairs but I didn't have time. Felt worried about missing my next connection bus.  Two people took an age to come out.  One young man with a dour expression and then a young woman with with a sort of apologetic smile.  I felt like sneering at them both but managed to control myself and just imagined sneering at them both.  Thankfully, the bus was still in the stand when I got there.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner