Author Topic: Scotland's People - Service Returns Death Cert.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotland's People - Service Returns Death Cert.
« on: Monday 09 May 22 16:45 BST (UK) »
Wondering what type of info I can get from a death certificate labeled Service Returns.  The person I am researching is named John Hay, and I have a date range of death, but not a positive date.  I am seeing quite a few death certificates labeled Service Returns, but I don't want to spend credits to view if I will not receive any concrete info.  These don't seem to list the mother's maiden name to narrow down the search.  Will there be birth date /place info listed in this document?

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland's People - Service Returns Death Cert.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 22 16:59 BST (UK) »
It has been a while since I looked at one but if I remember rightly it is basically just a list of names with their rank and date of death. Not enough information for you to be absolutely certain that it is the person you are looking for. I may be wrong and I am certain someone will say if I am.  ;D

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 22 17:05 BST (UK) »
Slightly more information (but not much  ::) )

This is what you get

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 22 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, not really enough to be able to narrow my search.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 22 18:01 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the CWGC website - they sometimes give more information regarding parents or next of kin

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 22 18:12 BST (UK) »
Do you know where in Scotland he lived ? as you might be able to trace him on census records ..Have you also looked for a will for John

Rosie

Offline FindinFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 22 19:29 BST (UK) »
Here is all the info that I have:

Born:  1889 Ecclesmachan, West Lothian - Parents James & Helen (Eaton) Hay.  In 1891 census - aged 2 lived at Threemiletown, West Lothian, 1901 census aged 12, lived at Shirvadyke, Kirkintilloch.  I know these are correct.  In 1910, parents and some younger siblings emigrated to Australia, as far as I know, John did not go with them at the time or later.  Father James died in Australia in 1935 and listed on Death Cert as having 2 sons predecease him.  His son James died in 1905 in Scotland, and I have confirmation that all other sons were all alive after 1935, with the exception of John.  I have no further info on John Eaton Hay, but based on his age, I am wondering if he may have been in WW1 and died then, which is why I was questioning the Service Remains info.  It is only a guess.  If anyone can help with any additional info I would be appreciative.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 22 22:18 BST (UK) »
As already suggested, if he died during the first world war he should be on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site https://www.cwgc.org/ - it has a dozen records of John Hays, none with a middle name, but one of them could be yours.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 01:56 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for a marriage 1901 - 1910 (a good reason not to emigrate with the others) & have you checked the 1911 census for a possible match?

Deaths in the 1900s prior to 1974 seldom give mms.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"