Author Topic: Has anyone ever found out they are related to their best friend? Etc.  (Read 1134 times)

Offline shadowwind2112

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Okay, so I do not know if this is the right section of the forum to post this on, but has anyone ever found that they are related to say their best friend? or found that their best friend is either a distant cousin or long lost brother or sister?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever found out they are related to their best friend? Etc.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 01:34 BST (UK) »
Mine is in reverse...

In 1969/70 I had 2 best friends who were in my class at school...

Roll on approx. 40 + yrs, filling in different branches on my tree, I discovered both to be my 5th cousins & they're 4th cousins to each other.

I'm in touch with both although it never crossed my mind to mention their relationship.

Only one of them is active in family history research.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 05:55 BST (UK) »
Grew up and went to school with two boys who were neighbours of my courtesy Aunt - 1960's.  In the early days asked if we were related, because their mother's maiden name was the same as ours. Don't think so was the response (my father wasn't alive to answer yes or no). Years later on doing family history, two names kept jumping out at me in the tree, names I knew, but no other information, but didn't dwell on it, until one day saw the death notice of the father, a few years ago, and yes it turned out we were cousins. My great grandfather and their's were brothers.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 05:58 BST (UK) »
At a family reunion about 18 years ago, 3 girls who worked in the same office discovered that they  were related.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 07:11 BST (UK) »
My best friend in France had Jewish origins
I helped her mother with researching her family turns out we both had ancestors from Jacobstadt in Latvia.
And our great great grandfather s both had first names Lazarus .

I think she decided not to do a DNA or did one with a different company so I don't know for sure if we were blood linked but it's nice to know our ancestors were neighbours

Just had a small DNA link with someone who was my sisters school mate ..from Scottish origins but don't know which line .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 07:58 BST (UK) »
I know that in quite small rural communities, such as I grew up in, many people were related as well as classmates, etc. As I came from "outsider" stock on both sides, it amused me to hear "Well, don't you have any cousins for friends?"
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 08:49 BST (UK) »
Not best friend, but someone at school (1950s)....did not see him for many years after until we moved here to Radstock... then met up again quite by chance.  He turns out to be my 2xgreat grand uncle's wife's second great grand nephew. The link goes back to somewhere around 1830.
Hi cuz!
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • William Turner b 1860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 11:12 BST (UK) »
My best friend wants us to be related.
We both have origins in the same small village, but the nearest I have found so far is one of her gt grandmothers was a witness to the marriage of one of mine.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • New to genealogy -a great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 12:09 BST (UK) »
I have a small DNA match to a friend of mine. I also am a distant cousin of a young man I taught.
Coffey, Cummins, Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA
GEDCOM file: 1980344