Author Topic: Leeds method - help  (Read 726 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Member
  • Tongue in cheek avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Leeds method - help
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 22 12:20 BST (UK) »
Over on Gedmatch the videos there are created by Family History Fanatics and finding them on Youtube gives a very useful resource in learning not only how to use Gedmatch but how to create and modify the Leeds Method chart.

The video in the link explains it far better than I can, but do look at the second video on Modifying the chart as that is imo more useful after you get the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74LJyjqo9c

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 22 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi   

Thank you for the link Biggles50.  I will see if my internet will accommodate the videos.  It's limited a great deal by speed and as I have not got normal internet but depend on a dongle to Wifi it is often slow or none at all.  It's just as well I'm not trying to use it for work.

My Spreadsheet is almost done.  The persons who only have themselves I shall remove as they aren't going to add anything.
There is quite a bit of overlap so I reckon there has to be some cross-link somewhere.  I will need to print this on a much larger paper than A4,  so I can see the whole picture. 

I can definitely see that there isn't much on the line I am after.

Essnell

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 May 22 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.
Something odd.  From the Leeds Chart I have been compiling.

I have come across a match  of a match that matches to me within the range I chose to use.  Now this person is not on my list from the testing company yet they are definitely within this family.  Their match list comprises almost exactly to many others Lists and in the same order as well as to mine. 

I  am supposed to match to all of these other persons which would be right according to my paper information. 

Anyone any ideas as to why under these circumstances I don't have this person on my match list.
The match lists are from one compamy, I presume, unless uploaded data from a different company, makes things different.

Essnell

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Member
  • Tongue in cheek avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 May 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
DNA matches on Ancestry have tested with Ancestry, they currently do not have any uploads possible from the results of other testing Companies.

Now a person can have tested with Ancestry but chosen in their privacy settings not to be seen by anyone.  Or they may share such a low cM with you it is below the threshold that is displayed as a direct match with you.  I have one match with 6cM which is now linked in my tree, I linked them before Ancestry changed their system and said match would not now be displayed.

Moving on to upload comparison sites like Gedmatch, myfamilytreedna etc raw DNA data can be uploaded to these sites irrespective of which was the testing Company, in Gedmatch using their one to many tool if you scroll along to the right you see the testing Company listed.

You may also find that a given match on Ancestry has a very different cM figure on the comparison sites, apparently this is due to the maths involved in calculating the presented data.

With my own brick wall I have matches listed on my Mystery Tree that all link together yet I gathered their info and our shared matches from three different comparison websites.

Without more info on the sources and cM values its difficult to be more accurate.

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 May 22 15:16 BST (UK) »
Your thoughts are just so true and on other research I have done that has been a massive issue.  If I can, I try to verify what I find IF it looks like a possibility to be correct.

I doubt any of the sites could police the accuracy of trees they carry.   One can only wish.

;D It was a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment...of course they can't be policed (such a pity) but in an ideal world it would be beneficial to all involved in 'serious' research, alas  ::)...

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 May 22 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosinish, 

Yes, I know and I didn't mean to be critical, sorry.  It would be great if they could.  Almost an impossible wish.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 May 22 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles50,
Thank you for the reply. 
I have only tested with MyHeritage so all my match info comes from them not Ancestry. 
I've done some checking.

I didn't add her to my Leeds list, as on my MyH  site match  list she is marked 3rd - distant  -  but  they could be wrong with that seeing  that all the matches she has  are many of the same people from others; Several of whom I have full trees for, which are connected to me.   

My thoughts are that the possibility lies in that these descend from my Great Grandparent's siblings.

My Highest cM Value starts at 202.4cM  so nothing spectacular.  There are exactly 8 before it drops below 90cM. All of them are known.     So : two from one line.    4 from another.  1 each from the remaining two names.   I know where these all fit: one  single unit I know - Its my grandmother's family on my fathers side, the other with one known cousin is my grandmother's family on my mother's line.

I am trying to find who in this massive full list of 5000 Plus belong to grandmother's family on my mother's line.  I was hoping to do that in order to work from there and try to connect to mu Great Grandmother's line .
 I have the full tree for this cousin - single match and oddly no links to any of that .
 I have two links  that are of matches of matches of this single person:  One I have made contact with but owing to a death there is a delay in getting any dialogue going.  The other is at a stand still - no where to go.

Ok! I think I have confused everyone including myself.

Essnell