Author Topic: JOHN BANGE  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Moonbabyx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN BANGE
« on: Wednesday 11 May 22 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hello! I’m new here and hopefully I have chosen the correct board to post in. I have been down the rabbit hole researching my family tree and I’m in australia so I’m getting confused with some of the Scotland places!

My great grandfather was born in Dundee in 1901 and his mothers name was Jemima Blackie, and on the birth certificate it says ‘illegitimate’ which I have now learned is because she probably wasn’t married. I’m trying to find more information on the father and the only reason I know his name is John Bange is because I found some school records from the Baldovan Institute School where my great grandfather was sent, and it has under the fathers name ‘John Bange Dead’.

So I guess my question is, is there a chance that women would lie back then and says the father was dead or is it most likely that he actually did die? I can’t find any death certificates for him so I’m at a loss now.

Hoping someone is able to help me!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN BANGE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 20:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

How old was Jemima Blackie in 1901? It sometimes gives a better clue as to possible age of reputed father.

There is this entry in 1901 for a John Bange for example:

John Bange, 19 b. Cupar, Fife
Private 2nd Royal Highrs at Panmure Barracks in Montrose Angus.

The surname Bange is pretty rare in Scotland. See the entry you found which mentioned father and the fact he was deceased here www.fdca.org.uk/Industrial_School.html

Blackie James
B. 24 Oct 1901 Dundee
16 Ballfield Walk, Dundee
Admitted 23 Jan 1912
09/712
Father John Bange (Dead)
Mother Jemina Blackie

So, window for possible death for reputed father would be 1900 to early 1912 from this it seems.

What, if anything, did your ggrandfather James state for his father's details on his marriage regitration?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 21:59 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Jemima Blackie in Angus in 1906 - spouse John Robb.  As 1912 info shows her as Blackie - it may not be her marriage

1901 has 2 Jemima Blackie's born & living in Angus - one b 1873 & the other 1881.  If John Bange was b 1882 - the right Jemima will be the one b 1881
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:30 BST (UK) »
The service records of John Bange, the soldier mentioned above, survive. He was 5' 5" tall, weighed 123 lb. and served in South Africa. He was a native of Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire, a millworker,  attested at age 18 at Dundee on 17-7-1899 and discharged on 16-3-1912. Next of kin have been scored out and changed over the years. His father was James Bange with a Dundee address, then his mother is given as n.o.k. with a Dundee address, which was finally changed to Gowanbank Cottage. Mossend, Lanarkshire.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:32 BST (UK) »
There's at least one spelling variant - Beange. They may be others.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:34 BST (UK) »
He was a native of Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire, a millworker,  attested at age 18 at Dundee on 17-7-1899
There is a birth of a John Beange in Garvock in 1881 - not quite Laurencekirk, but not a million miles away.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:37 BST (UK) »
1891 Census: Cruick Cottage, Stracathro. James Benge, 40, glebe manager, wife Annie and six children including James, 11, born Laurencekirk and John, 9 born Garvock.

In 1901 James and Annie Bange are in Dundee with eight children, not including John.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 22:56 BST (UK) »
James Beang married Annie Gray 1879, Laurencekirk.

A John Bange, mother's maiden name Gray, died in Perth 1974, aged 92.

Offline Moonbabyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 May 22 01:32 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you everyone for helping me so quickly! I don’t know hot to reply to each person so I’ll try and answer all the questions here.

Jemima Blackie is on James Bange Blackies birth certificate and it says he was born at 57 south tay street, Dundee. Jemima was a jute spinner and she born in 1881.

Jemima did marry John Robb and they had 2 children and I did find a census from 1911 that said James Blackie ‘stepson’ was living with them before he went to the Baldovan School.

I can’t find any other information on John Bange but I did also notice that sometimes the name would be spelt Beange which makes it harder! How would I be sure that the same John Bange is the one who served in the military? I don’t have any other knowledge of him and I’m trying to help my grandfather find out more because he wasn’t told anything growing up.

I haven’t been able to get the marriage certificate or death certificate for James Bange Blackie as those records are here in Western Australia and aren’t able to be accessed yet.