Author Topic: JOHN BANGE  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Moonbabyx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN BANGE
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 22 02:25 BST (UK) »
He was a native of Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire, a millworker,  attested at age 18 at Dundee on 17-7-1899
There is a birth of a John Beange in Garvock in 1881 - not quite Laurencekirk, but not a million miles away.

I have already paid for this one on the Scotlands People site and his father was James and mother was Annie but I don’t know how to verify that it would be the correct John bange I’m looking for.

Offline Moonbabyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 22 02:31 BST (UK) »
The service records of John Bange, the soldier mentioned above, survive. He was 5' 5" tall, weighed 123 lb. and served in South Africa. He was a native of Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire, a millworker,  attested at age 18 at Dundee on 17-7-1899 and discharged on 16-3-1912. Next of kin have been scored out and changed over the years. His father was James Bange with a Dundee address, then his mother is given as n.o.k. with a Dundee address, which was finally changed to Gowanbank Cottage. Mossend, Lanarkshire.

I’m not sure this would be the right man now because his baby was born in 1901 and he would have been in the military then?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 22 08:47 BST (UK) »
He was a native of Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire, a millworker,  attested at age 18 at Dundee on 17-7-1899
There is a birth of a John Beange in Garvock in 1881 - not quite Laurencekirk, but not a million miles away.

I have already paid for this one on the Scotlands People site and his father was James and mother was Annie but I don’t know how to verify that it would be the correct John bange I’m looking for.
What was Annie's maiden surname according to the birth certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 May 22 09:35 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure this would be the right man now because his baby was born in 1901 and he would have been in the military then?

His service records say he served:

At home 17-7-1899 to 29-9-1901
South Africa 30-9-1901 to 22-10-1902
India 23-10-1902 to 14-3-1912
At home 15-3-1912 to 16-3-1912

It is quite possible for John Bange to have done the deed, since he was "At home", i.e. based in the barracks at Montrose (he could have been in Dundee often enough visiting his parents, or Jemima might have been in domestic service in Montrose). I don't know the exact date the child was born, but John was continually out of the country from the end of September 1901 until March 1912. It may well be the case that it was easier to write him off as "dead" when it came to school forms etc.

Offline Moonbabyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 May 22 09:47 BST (UK) »

What was Annie's maiden surname according to the birth certificate?

It was Gray.

Offline Moonbabyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 22 09:49 BST (UK) »

His service records say he served:

At home 17-7-1899 to 29-9-1901
South Africa 30-9-1901 to 22-10-1902
India 23-10-1902 to 14-3-1912
At home 15-3-1912 to 16-3-1912

It is quite possible for John Bange to have done the deed, since he was "At home", i.e. based in the barracks at Montrose (he could have been in Dundee often enough visiting his parents, or Jemima might have been in domestic service in Montrose). I don't know the exact date the child was born, but John was continually out of the country from the end of September 1901 until March 1912. It may well be the case that it was easier to write him off as "dead" when it came to school forms etc.

Oh okay! He was born in October of 1901 so that could be him then!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 May 22 10:16 BST (UK) »
Two possible marriages:

John Bange m Henrietta Edwards, 1914 Dundee

John Bange m Ellen Carter, 1941 Dundee

From Dundee Evening Telegraph 28-6-1937:

BANGE. - At 2 Craigie Street, Dundee, on
the 27th June, Henrietta Edwards
Bange, daughter of the late Henry and
Margaret Edwards. Deeply mourned.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 May 22 10:48 BST (UK) »
My understanding of "Home" in service records was that it referred to service anywhere in the United Kingdom. Leave would certainly be easier of course.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 May 22 11:18 BST (UK) »
My understanding of "Home" in service records was that it referred to service anywhere in the United Kingdom. Leave would certainly be easier of course.

That is correct, but we know from the census that he spent the night of 31st March 1901 in the barracks in Montrose.