Author Topic: George James Leslie Thompson  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
George James Leslie Thompson
« on: Thursday 12 May 22 10:00 BST (UK) »
Born 1919 in Perth, died about 1991 in Douglas, Isle of Man according to a certain commercial web site.

Is there any way of verifying that GJLT did die in the Isle of Man, and if so, when?

The said web site says his father was Leslie Cochrane Thomson (1900-1940), allegedly born in Ardoch, Perthshire, of whom there is no trace in either the Scottish or the England and Wales BMD indexes. I never believe what I find on commercial web sites, of course, and I know from GJLT's birth certificate that his parents were George Leslie Smith Thomson and Nellie Jane Smith and that he was in fact born in 1920, not 1919.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George James Leslie Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 22 09:02 BST (UK) »

I have just had a look at the death records on https://www.manxbmd.com no George J L Thompson registered any year as far as I can see.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 22 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Colin.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 22 11:30 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have these records?

George Leslie Smith Thomson, born 1892, Aberdeen Old Machar

George Leslie Smith Thompson, died 1946, St Andrew, Edinburgh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 22 12:36 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have these records?

George Leslie Smith Thomson, born 1892, Aberdeen Old Machar

George Leslie Smith Thompson, died 1946, St Andrew, Edinburgh
Thank you, yes, I have these. He was the father of George James Leslie Thompson.

He was a minister, but he blotted his copybook by leaving his wife for a Sunday School teacher, whom he subsequently married. Obviously he had to resign from the ministry.

I've never found the wife's death either, and I hoped the son's death might lead me to the wife's.

She was Nellie Jane Smith, born 1892 in Edinburgh, daughter of James Smith and Nellie Jane Smith née Smith, married George Leslie Smith Thom(p)son in 1919, divorced 1944, married Ian Hoy Simpson 1948. Ian Hoy Simpson was born in 1908, married Nellie Jane Smith in 1948 and Anne K R Primmer or Veitch in 1953, and died in Edinburgh in 1962. I do not know whether he had divorced Nellie or she had died - I'm waiting for a visit to the Scotland's People Centre to find that out from his second marriage certificate.

She could be the Nellie J Simpson who died in Birmingham in the third quarter of 1953 aged 60, but the remarriage of her husband is the 301st of 1166 marriages in Kirkcaldy in 1953, suggesting that it must have taken place before the end of the second quarter, so I am not going to buy a certificate that won't tell me the names of her parents or husband until I know whether or not she was divorced.

And she is not the Nellie Jane Smith who died in Lerwick in 1961.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 22 14:19 BST (UK) »
George Leslie's 2nd wife had a mixture of names. Born Barbara Duthie Thom 1901-1983 & her surname was Blues when they married, daughter of Henry Robertson Blues.

Billiongraves has their gravestone

https://billiongraves.com/grave/George-Leslie-Smith-Thompson/9065685

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 22 14:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Yes, I have all that - birth, marriage and death. Barbara was born Barbara Duthie Thom, illegitimate daughter of Mary Thom, teacher of English, on 11 April 1900 at 1 St David's Terrace, Edinburgh, and was adopted by Henry Robertson Blues and his wife Elizabeth Philip.

It's only the first wife and her son who are eluding me. I have reams of information about the other members of the family.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 22 21:19 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, a mystery man indeed. You have his birth cert, what was his exact dob.

John

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 22 22:03 BST (UK) »
George James Leslie Thom(p)son was born on 26 November 1920 at 27 Balhousie Street, Perth (that's the original Perth, not Perth in Western Australia). He married Christina Speirs Baillie on 13 December 1941 in Lady Glenorchy's Church, Edinburgh. She divorced him in October 1946. He married Margaret Elsie White on 5 November 1946 in a Registrar's office in Edinburgh.

In 1941 he was a student of law and an army officer cadet. In 1946 he was a captain in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.