Author Topic: Maryborough Prison??  (Read 15276 times)

Offline AlanO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Maryborough Prison??
« on: Sunday 04 September 05 14:39 BST (UK) »
In 1849, my GGGrandfather, Joseph Day, was sentenced to 7 years transportation for malicious assault, (TR9, P139). Family notes and letters tell us that he was executed in Ireland after escaping from prison. We now believe that he was sent to Maryborough Prison, Laoghis, and I was hoping to find any record of his escape and subsequent death, whether legal execution or at the hands of soldiers or police as an escapee.

Facts at hand indicate that he would have escaped around June 1850. Can anyone suggest where I might find his trial record and any report of a prison breakout?

AlanO

Melbourne
Blackbell - Aspinall in England
Day - Boland in Ireland

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Maryborough Prison??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 07:21 BST (UK) »
Alan:
I have been digging around without too much luck. However, I did come across something of interest. I  found out who your GGGrandfather assaulted and why! 

"On 30 October, 1848, Daniel, Robert, William and James Phelan of Garran, together with several other tenants were served with ejectment notices by John Price, agent for Lady Warnford. Michael Kennedy, caretaker of the estate, caused several houses of the evicted tenants to be demolished, but permitted the Phelans to remain in their homes provided they declared for the landlord. The Phelans refused to accept the terms of this agreement, because it involved the seizure of their crops in lieu of arrears of rent. On 17 March, 1849, Thomas Maher, then caretaker of the estate, summoned John Nolan, brother-in-law of James Phelan, to Rathdowney Petty Sessions for cattle trespass, was assaulted by a party of men on his way home. On 12 July at Maryborough Assizes, Joseph Day and John Delaney were convicted for the assault on Maher and sentenced to seven years' transportation. John Nolan was sentenced to twelve months' imprisonment for having incited the assault on Maher. (C.S.O. Registered Papers (Outrage), 1849/1579 : Walsh p167) "

Here is link to site:   http://homepage.mac.com/john.maher/Maher/borris.htm

Good luck!

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline AlanO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 08:00 BST (UK) »
Pat, thank you very much for that information. We have searched for years and had little to show for it...this site is amazing for the amount of help it generates from the members.

A second cousin has been researching the family for 20 years and is a member of The Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV) and part of his report follows:

The GSV library have a copy of the Irish Transportation Records, and using the information on the printout for Joseph Day, I was able to access the film of the original hand written lists of prisoners from Queens Co convicted in 1849. These were the lists transcribed to produce the records you found. From this I was able to see that of 21 on that page,Joseph was one of nine tried by "The Lord Chief Justice Doherty", between 12th July and the end of the year. Perhaps more significantly, Joseph and one other, John Delany, were listed consecutively as being tried and convicted on the same day for malicious assault, and were both given seven years transportation.

It is a bit of a long shot, but I thought it possible that they were tried and convicted for the same incident, and that any trial details for one would give similar details for the other. As John Delany was listed as being transported on the "Robert Small", I followed his trail and found that he was transported to WA, arriving in Fremantle on 16 August 1853. His convict number is given as 2224 and he gained his ticket of leave on 15 December 1853. From these details we may be able to learn more about the details of his charge and the court proceedings. I will try to follow this up. By the way he died in 1892 in Newcastle and was unmarried. You never know, we may learn something about this Joseph Day by going sideways for a bit.

We now have just one more piece of the puzzle to go and we have heard rumours of a breakout in 1850, but have lost contact with the person who told us about it.

As they say - one door closes and another one slams in your face.

Thanks again Pat.
Blackbell - Aspinall in England
Day - Boland in Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
Click to see pictures of Laois including H. M. Prison Maryborough and the Prison Cottages.

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 09:23 BST (UK) »
So pleased to have found this link Christopher - we have just been to Dublin and whilst there discovered that my husband's grandfather (a trade warder) went to Maryborough Prison from Mountjoy in 1902.  The family, including father-in-law lived in the prison cottages, so great to have access to a photo.

We found the information from the General Prison Board correspondence register in the National Archives.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline luckytobeirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 June 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
Ellen,
I'm new to this board and was excited to learn that your husband's grandfather must have been a neighbor and co-worker of my great grandfather, Robert James (R.J.) Smith who lived in the Maryborough Gaol Cottages from at least 1893 to at least 1911, probably longer. The birth registrations of 6 of his children list the prison cottages on Dublin Road as their place of birth.
I have 2 questions at this point:
1) The original link to the photo of the cottages no longer works. Do you know how I can see it?
2) Do you know how I can verify his work role at the prison and when he retired or left his work there?
He listed "prison storekeeper" in some birth registrations and "prison clerk" in other birth registrations. I think a clerk was a deputy governor, but I'm not certain of that.

Also, I assume he also worked at the Mountjoy prison from 1886-1889, since his occupation during that time was prison warder and his residence was 1 minute's walk from Mountjoy prison. Perhaps he and your husband's grandfather worked together there as well.
Thanks so much for any direction you or any other Roots chatters can give me about this.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 June 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Maryborough Prison is now Portlaoise Prison
and Maryborough town is also now Portlaoise, there is a old photo of the prison here but I don't know if the cottages are
https://historicalpicturearchive.com/picture-categories/portlaoise-and-maryborough/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 June 19 20:55 BST (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 June 19 21:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry forgot to say Welcome to RootsChat.

Did your Robert James have a son WJ Smith who married in Kansas USA in 1908?
There is a notice of the marriage in the Leister Express give the father as James Smith 1st Class Storekeeper.

Looks good
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Maryborough_Urban/Dublin_Street/1649388/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Queen_s_Co_/Maryborough_Urban/Borris__Little__Part_of_Dublin_Street_/791996/