Author Topic: Thomas Lennox, wife Margaret Lennox or McLernon, Nov 10, 1820, Woods  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas Lennox, wife Margaret Lennox or McLernon, Nov 10, 1820, Woods
« on: Thursday 12 May 22 19:50 BST (UK) »
In Woods Chapel records, I found the marriage of Thomas Lennox to Margaret Lennox on Nov 10, 1820. Then I found the baptism of Samuel Lennox Nov 24, 1825 at Woods to  Thomas Lennox and Margaret McLernon, residence Aughrim. Next is the baptism of Jane Lennox Jan 22, 1826 at Woods, parents Thomas Lennox and Margaret Lennox, residence Aughrim. Are these Margarets one and the same? Then there is Mary Ann Lennox, baptism June 4, 1829, parents Thomas and Margaret, no  last name, residence Aughrim. This Mary Ann later married Wilson Lennox  Jan 1, 1847 in Magherafelt but I think she died before 1850.
As if that isn't enough, there is a Thomas born Mar 23, 1835 in Aughrim. I did not find his baptism record but I find him in Heworth, in 1851, age 16, with widowed mother Maria. His father was Thomas as per his marriage record to Jane Donnison. So now we have Margaret Lennox, Margaret McLernon and Maria. I searched long and hard for Maria's death and even ordered a death certificate
from England for a death of a Maria in Aberford, West Yorkshire, but it was not the correct person.
Some online trees have the death of Thomas Feb 27, 1827 which would make Mary Ann and Thomas illegitimate. Other trees say Aug 21, 1875 but why would Maria and son Thomas be in Heworth in 1851?
What do you think?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, wife Margaret Lennox or McLernon, Nov 10, 1820, Woods
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 22 01:51 BST (UK) »
In Woods Chapel records, I found the marriage of Thomas Lennox to Margaret Lennox on Nov 10, 1820. Then I found the baptism of Samuel Lennox Nov 24, 1825 at Woods to  Thomas Lennox and Margaret McLernon, residence Aughrim. Next is the baptism of Jane Lennox Jan 22, 1826 at Woods, parents Thomas Lennox and Margaret Lennox, residence Aughrim. Are these Margarets one and the same?

Unless the baptism of Samuel Lennox on 24/11/1825 was when he was some months old then it would not really be possible for the same parents to also have Jane Lennox born 22/1/1826.  Perhaps if she was very premature?  Have you got the years noted correctly?  It would work if Samuel was born in Nov 1824 and then Jane in Jan 1826.  Do you know if Samuel was baptised as a child rather than an infant? 

Does the marriage  record Nov 1820 not have the maiden surname of Margaret?

PS it is easier if you can put links so we can pore over them ourselves.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 May 22 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh, I have the baptism years correct (I just doublechecked) for Samuel and Jane. The marriage record says Thomas Lennox and Margaret Lennox.
I have no actual records to show you or others. Woods let me look at transcribed typed records and I took notes. They said it was a copyright or legal issue. Sorry.
I also have no way of knowing how old the children were when they were baptised. Samuel was baptised very close to a year after the marriage of Thomas Lennox and Margaret Lennox but his mother is given as Margaret McLernon. Jane is baptised 2 months later and her mother is given as Margaret Lennox. Maybe there are 2 different families here. Or I suppose if Samuel was born soon after marriage but not baptised for several months, and then Jane was born and baptised close to birth, it could be the same family. This has puzzled me. You know what, I have a friend who I think has a microfilm of the records so I will  ask him and see if he has these particular records and I will share if I get them.
to me,the birth of son Thomas is even more puzzling with mother Maria and they went to Heworth, England. I will  get back  to you soon.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 22 03:18 BST (UK) »
I guess that is where we differ in dealing with records.

My immediate thought was that it was more likely that there were two different families than a child had been baptised earlier or later than usual.  As it is one child was baptised 3 months later than another.  Not to say that these records should be discounted but I would log them but keep them to one side. 

A baptism almost 5 years after a marriage is not what I call close.

Samuel Lennox Nov 24, 1825 at Woods to  Thomas Lennox and Margaret McLernon

What was the maiden surname of the Margaret you are tracking? 

ETA
1  A useful way of tracking oldies is to look at the Census of 1901 and 1911 etc and look at the listings by age.
So in the 1901 census there are several from Castledawson and Magherafelt, both relatively close to Aughrim T/L.   I would track these ones first as their death notices will be easier to find in Civil registration.  In fact there re census fragments for 1831 for Londonderry with Lennox in them. 
Then Griffiths.
2 It is not unusual in Irish records for a woman's maiden name to be used in official records even though she may be married. 
3 I would have a poke around in the records on this website
http://www.billmacafee.com/
He has analysed the 1831 Co Londonderry census fragments and this may be useful. 

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 22 16:11 BST (UK) »
You are correct, shanreagh. It was 5 years after recorded marriage that Samuel was born. Sorry, momentary mistake.
I am wanting to know what is the actual name of Thomas' wife and if we are looking at one family here or possibly three.
I will try your suggestions. thank you.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 22 03:53 BST (UK) »
I am now in possession of copies of the baptisms of Samuel and Jane and although they are extremely hard to read, I believe it says Samuel was the son of Thomas Lennox and Margaret Lennox alias McLernon, and says Jane is the daughter of Thomas Lennox and Margaret Lennox alias Lennox. Jane's is harder to read but doesn't look like McLernon. So  two different families. Awaiting the other baptisms and the marriage or marriages.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 22 16:24 BST (UK) »
I have been corrected. What it says at the end of Jane’s baptism is alias do meaning ditto meaning her mother is Lennox ditto Lennox.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 22 16:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Lenox ditto Lenox.

Offline Lala85xx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 23:40 GMT (UK) »
The Lennoxs that you mention are my ancestors, my mother was Lennox from ballymaguigan, have researched back to ochiltree Scotland

Matilda is on my tree, I can get certs also, have a few but more of the recent Lennoxs, also have a mystery with a foundling whos dna is Lennox and possibly Thomas Lennox is the father, born 1875 I think