Author Topic: Frederick William (Frank) Poore - advice on where to look  (Read 416 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Frederick William (Frank) Poore - advice on where to look
« on: Saturday 14 May 22 03:36 BST (UK) »
Frederick William (Frank) Poore, born Christchurch, NZ in 1882, was my great grandfather. Sometime around 1911 he left Christchurch, New Zealand for Australia, supposedly on the run from the law (I can't find any arrest warrant however), leaving behind my great grandmother and 2 children.  He was never to be heard of again, and searches by the family at the time, and me on the internet since, can find no trace of him. 

However the other day, I have a new close DNA match with an unknown relative (probably a 2nd cousin), who is obviously a Poore descendent by the shared matches.  He has no idea of his grandmother Marjorie Dollie Barton's genesis, with family history saying she was born circa 1915, with father "Smith" and mother Mollie Kennedy.  I have since purchased Marjorie's marriage certificate, and it tells me that she married Vincent Lawrence in 1936, she was born in Kempsey, New South Wales, and her parents are Harry Barton and Mollie Duffy. I can also see her in the electoral roll in 1934, living in Korumburra, Victoria, with Frederick and Nellie May Barton.

My question is how can I proceed with this information?  I am having no luck with birth certificates for Marjorie Dollie, I can't find anything to do with Harry Barton, "Smith" and Mollie Duffy/Kennedy, and I am generally lost for ideas.  There is also a brother for Marjorie who goes under the name of Ted Smith, and I can find even less about him. I am convinced that "Smith" is Frederick William Poore, for a number of reasons, but how to find out any more about him from all of this, eludes me right now.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick William (Frank) Poore - advice on where to look
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 22 04:04 BST (UK) »
I have checked out Frederick and Nelly May Barton - they seem legitimately real people.  Frederick Barton married Nelly May Selwood in 1918, and he seems to definitely be born in Croyden, England in 1883, to Phoebe Pearce and Frederick Barton. I can find his birth entry on GRO, so everything checks out.  With the name Frederick I had wondered if he was Frederick William Poore, but apparently not. 

It does make "Harry Barton" even more mysterious, as I can find brothers to Frederick of Edward born in 1885, William born in 1889, and Charles Henry in 1896 - maybe Charles Henry is Harry.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 22 04:18 BST (UK) »
BARTON, MARJORIE
38451/1913
Father: HARRY F
Mother: MARY J
KEMPSEY

He has no idea of his grandmother Marjorie Dollie Barton's genesis, with family history saying she was born circa 1915, with father "Smith" and mother Mollie Kennedy.

What does this mean?  Oral family history?

Debra  :)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 22 04:20 BST (UK) »
Yes oral history, from Marjorie's son.  I don't think they have much in the way of documentation at all.

The birth certificate looks interesting. I wasn't really expecting it to be in the name of Barton, maybe Kennedy, Duffy or Smith, but we do have Harry here, and Mollie is a nickname for Mary. 

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 22 04:40 BST (UK) »

If you are researching the origins of this Marjorie Dolly BARTON, and you have the marriage certificate, can you please list all the information that you see on the document.

VIC BDM marriage
5373/1936   BARTON  Marj Dolly    marr.  LAWRENCE, Vincent Jos

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 22 05:06 BST (UK) »
From that AAF record

He is 32 years and 9 months old on 23 October 1914

Frederick William POORE’s actual date of birth is 21 January 1882.

Add 32 years and 9 mths to that and I think you get October 1914

I cannot see a Henry Frederick Barton Birth on NZ records
Side tracked to a friend’s very interesting Norfolk families. MORGAN, PRATT, HORNOR, SUCKLING, GLEANE etc. And in London DOWNES, du CROZ, MORGAN (same MORGANs as the Norwich lot)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 22 05:18 BST (UK) »
The second enlistment in 1917 states his occupation as 'salesman' which is the same as Frederick POORE.  NOK is father Henry Francis BARTON of Hereford Street, Christchurch, so father's name and address is also the same, except the surname is of course POORE, not BARTON.

Debra  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 22 05:22 BST (UK) »

Several records NAA including this, with address for NOK Hereford St Lynwood Christchurch -

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=6512944

Search burials Bromley Cemetery  (same plot)
https://heritage.christchurchcitylibraries.com/Cemeteries/Search.asp

POORE Henry Francis  died 15 Nov 1933, buried 17 Nov 1933
age 83y, NZ 69y   music teacher

POORE Mary               died 14 Jun 1836, buried 16 Jun 1936
age 85y, NZ 85y widow

Press 15 Jun 1938 p1
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19380615.2.6?
POORE—On June 14, 1938, at her residence, 19 Shrewsbury street, Merivale, Mary, widow of the late Henry Francis POORE, late of 451 Hereford street; in her 86th year. Private interment.