Author Topic: How do you indicate relationships in a short and easy to understand way?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: How do you indicate relationships in a short and easy to understand way?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 May 22 09:32 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth (perhaps not a lot) here is my two-penn'orth.

The tree (a diagram) is worth 1000 words.
If you are confused by your present arrangement, any readers will be more so.
As in Chiddicks' recent thread on here, you must consider whether you expect a wide or a very narrow readership.  Are you creating a document for posterity, or just for yourself and one or two others ?
If you can include click-links in your text, you could link each page to the main tree, making hopping back and forth easy.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 22 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the continued replies.

I'm intending to send the document to two relatives who are interested, and hopefully leave it for my son for the future. That simplifies it a bit, as we are all from one single female line.

I've been back over it and decided to add a note at the start of each individuals profile, listing who was their father, their spouse and their child in our direct lineage. So far, it's made it a bit easier to understand, for me at least.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 11:38 BST (UK) »
As a lover of things on paper I have been preparing a kind of reference book (in a large exercise book) into which I have entered my ancestors individually with useful notes, including all important dates and places, names of parents and children (with dates and places), list of sources of information (certificates, censuses and general notes).  I find that this will take a double page spread of A4 paper per ancestor.  The first page in the book is an index of names entered with birth year and all the pages are numbered, so it is quick and easy to find the person you are looking for.

Of course I have everything on my computer as well, but I have found this a very helpful way of looking facts up quickly without firing up the computer and searching around.  I have one book for my father's side of the family and a second one for my mother's side.  I can see that for those with massive family trees this system would be unworkable, but for mine it's a great help and compiling it has been a helpful reminder of so many family details.  I think it could be useful for my children and grandchildren, too, in years to come, though perhaps a family tree on a scroll of wallpaper would complete the story.  OK, I get that this was the way people used to do things before computers became so common, but I have found it most helpful.

The next time you find yourself asking, "Now who was that fellow?", think of how easily you could just look him up in your book and find him in the index and see  all the information about him on a page.  Simple! 8)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.