Author Topic: The Deakin family of Stowe by Chartley  (Read 610 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Deakin family of Stowe by Chartley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish for your messages.

In researching the family of John Stonyer and Harriet Deakin, it was crear that some of John and Harriet's children were with other members of the Deakin family during some censuses, which is what prompted me to look in a little more detail into the Deakin family, and hence my posting here.

There are a couple of complicating factors.

First, there are two George Deakin and Margaret marriages, one to Margaret Bond and a second, in 1831 for a George Deakin to Maragret Babb. Putting all the christenings for their children into a spreadsheet it soon becomes apparent which child belongs to which set of parents, even though the older George and Margaret were having children until Margaret was into her late 40s, and during the same period as the younger George and Margaret.

The second problem surrounds John Stonyer. Stonyer has multiple variations such as Stanyer, Stonier, Stanier in addition to multitudinous variations on census entries, including Stomper, Stonger, Stamper and Monger! Add to this that the name is geographically common in Staffs and Derbyshire and that there are at least three more John Stonyer/Harriett ??? marriages in and around the same time as for John and Harriett Deakin, disentangling the census entries is quite a task.

My assessment of the family so far is this:

1  George DEAKIN (1796-1868?). Born: 1796, Chartley Outwoods, Staffordshire, England. Marr: Elizabeth BOND 27 Sep 1819, Kingstone, Staffordshire, England. St. John the Baptist. Died: 29 Jan 1868 (est), Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. Chartley Outwoods. Buried: 1 Feb 1868, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. St. John the Baptist.

=  Elizabeth BOND (1800-1866?) .

1.1  George DEAKIN (1820?- ). Born: Mar 1820 (est), Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. Chartley Outwoods. Bap: 14 Apr 1820, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. St. John the Baptist.

1.2  Ann DEAKIN (1824?- ). Born: Mar 1824 (est), Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. Outwoods. Bap: 20 Jun 1824, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. St. John the Baptist.

1.3  Harriett DEAKIN (1826?-1875). Born: Dec 1826 (est), Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. Chartley Outwoods. Bap: 7 Jan 1827, Gratwich, Staffordshire, England. St. Mary the Virgin. Marr: John STONYER 5 Aug 1847, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. St. John the Baptist. Died: 1875, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England.

=  John STONYER (1823?- ), son of John STONYER (1797- )  and Margaret BALL ( - ).

1.3.1  George STANYER (1849?- ). Born: Sep 1849 (cal), Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 28 Apr 1850, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England. St. Mary.

1.3.2  Joseph STANYER (1852- ). Born: 1852, Longton, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 11 Sep 1853, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England.

1.3.3  Elizabeth STANYER (1858- ). Born: 1858, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England.

1.3.4  Mary STANYER (1860- ). Born: 1860, Stowe, Staffordshire, England.

1.3.5  John STANYER (1867- ). Born: 1867, Stone*, Staffordshire, England.

1.4  Joseph DEAKIN (1828?- ). Born: Dec 1828 (est), Chartley Outwoods, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 11 Jan 1829, Gratwich, Staffordshire, England. St Mary the Virgin.

1.5  Francis DEAKIN (1833?- ). Born: Apr 1833 (est), Chartley Outwoods, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 12 May 1833, Gratwich, Staffordshire, England.St Mary the Virgin.

1.6  James DEAKIN (1835?- ). Born: Feb 1835 (est), Chartley Outwoods, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 15 Mar 1835, Gratwich, Staffordshire, England. St Mary the Virgin.

1.7  Jane DEAKIN (1837?- ). Born: Jul 1837 (est), Chartley Outwoods, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 13 Aug 1837, Gratwich, Staffordshire, England. St Mary the Virgin.

1.8  William DEAKIN (1840- ). Born: 1840, Chartley Outwoods, Staffordshire, England.

1.9  Sarah DEAKIN (1842?- ). Born: Jan 1842 (est), Stowe, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 20 Feb 1842, Gratwich, Staffordshire, England. St Mary the Virgin. Marr: Charles STANLEY 3 May 1866, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. St. John the Baptist.

=  Charles STANLEY ( - ).

1.9.1  George Robert STANLEY (1868- ). Born: 1868, Silverdale, Staffordshire, England.

1.10  Anthony DEAKIN (1844?- ). Born: Jan 1844 (est), Stowe, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 18 Feb 1844, Gratwich, Staffordshire, England. St Mary the Virgin.

1.11  Elizabeth DEAKIN (1848?- ). Born: Apr 1848 (est), Chartley Outwoods, Staffordshire, England. Bap: 21 May 1848, Stowe by Chartley, Staffordshire, England. St. John the Baptist.

The main problems I have now are finding the missing baptisms for John and Harriet's children Elizaberth, Mary and John (if they were baptised, that is) and tracing the chidren on the censuses. I am reasonably confident of the birthplaces, even though they seem spread out, as they are the only Stanyer/Deakin entries on the GRO index.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 10:24 BST (UK) »
Your research seems very thorough and I am sorry I cant help more.

Hopefully someone else can :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 May 22 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Trish. I try to be thorough, but it helps to have another pair of eyes sometimes  :)
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.