Author Topic: biological family  (Read 1408 times)

Offline hullnow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
biological family
« on: Monday 16 May 22 20:11 BST (UK) »
Having researched my adoptive family I have now started to look into my biological family.I was born A Alcroft in 1951,my mother was an Alice Alcroft.The Alcroft family were connected to Birkenhead ,Paisley,Ayr and Prestwick.As a 71 yr old this research is mainly for my children,if they are ever interested,but i am curious as to where I come from.
watson,cross,buchanan.scotland
lummiss.suffolk,e yorks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: biological family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 22 20:27 BST (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is your first port of call.

There is a birth of Alice McManus Alcroft in Monkton and Prestwick in 1921. Would that be your mother? She died in Prestwick in 1982 aged 66, mother's surname Alcroft.

I note with interest that an Alexander Alcroft married an Annie McManus in Ayr in 1900, and that in 1901 there is a family in Ayr consisting of Alexander Alcroft, 19, Riveter, born Paisley, with wife Annie, 20 born Ayr and son John, under 1 year, born Ayr.

There are five deaths of Alcrofts, mother's maiden surname McManus:
John McManus, 81, 1981 - born 1900
Rebecca Jones D, 26, 1929 - born 1901
Alexander, 74, 1981 - born 1907
Annie McManus, 95, 2010 - born 1914
James McKenna, 81, 1999 - born 1917

John McManus married Margaret Semple or Hamilton in 1924
Rebecca J Drisc... married William Lucas in 1926.

In the 1911 census index, the following are listed on the same page of the book in Port Glasgow:M Margaret, 54; Annie, 31; Alexander, 29; John, 11; Rebecca, 9; William, 6; Alexander, 4; Frederick, 1. You can view the original to get all the information on it.

In 1891 Alexander Alcroft, 11, is in Newton-on-Ayr with his mother Margaret Anne, born England, older brother John Henry, 14, born England, and four younger siblings.

Margaret Ann Driscoll or Alcroft, 79, died in Monkton and Prestwick in 1936.
William Henry Alcroft, mother's maiden surname Nicoll, died in Ayr in 1894 aged 38.

William Alcroft married Margaret Ann Driscoll in Birkenhead, Cheshire, in 1877.

In the 1971 census, Margaret A Driscoll, 14, is in Birkenhead with her father Alexander Driscoll, 40, born Ireland; mother Rebecca, 40, born Lancashire; and four siblings.

Margaret Ann Driscoll, mother's maiden surname Jones, was born in the Wirral in 1856. Alexander Driscol married Rebecca Jones in Liverpool in 1849. So it's easy to see where Rebecca's middle names came from :)

Not quite sure where William Alcroft came from.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hullnow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 22 20:58 BST (UK) »
I believe that is the lady,she died in 1987.
watson,cross,buchanan.scotland
lummiss.suffolk,e yorks

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 22 21:02 BST (UK) »
There is a public tree on ancestry that has a marriage for Alice McManus Alcroft but the spouse name is private. Alice's mother's name is given as  Rebecca Jones Driscoll Alcroft(1901–1929) and in 1926 in Prestwick she married William Lucas 1904–1981 They had two children before Rebecca's death in 1929. One of the children was Florence Lucas(1926–2010) The other is private. William Lucas married a second time and by 1939 was living in Northamptonshire.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 22 23:41 BST (UK) »

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 01:34 BST (UK) »
Ardrossan, North Ayrshire had at least 2 Alcroft families in the 1950s until the present day.  The son of one of them was in my class at school (so born 1947).  After he married he settled in Dalry just a few miles away and went into the retail business and his wife had/ has a flower shop there.
As they all may still be alive I won't post names here but you can search Electoral Rolls for Linn Road, Ardrossan and Eglinton Road, Ardrossan.
cheers, Ian

Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 09:03 BST (UK) »
Previous thread about the same family.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=861904.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 11:46 BST (UK) »
Having researched my adoptive family I have now started to look into my biological family.I was born Alister McManus Alcroft in 1951,my mother was an Alice Alcroft.The Alcroft family were connected to Birkenhead ,Paisley,Ayr and Prestwick.As a 71 yr old this research is mainly for my children,if they are ever interested,but i am curious as to where I come from.

It's possible that we may be related. Annie McManus Alcroft the daughter of Rebecca was my 2nd cousin (once removed). - my link is through the McManus family.

Unfortunately there are several other possibles which I haven't been able to research. (it is possible they all refer to the same person but I obtained this information just prior to the lockdowns and haven't been able to visit a centre since)
1) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married Samuel MCNICOL 1937 606/ 34 Registered in Monkton & Prestwick
2) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married FREDERICK JAMES HOLLANDS in 1945  606/ 113 Registered in Monton & Prestwick
3) ANNIE MCMANUS ALCROFT married WILLIAM MACK HERCUS in 1947 606/ 7 Registered in Monkton & Prestwick

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.