Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 29TH May 2022  (Read 3451 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 29TH May 2022
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 14:29 BST (UK) »
I grew up a family/environment in which roles were somewhat stereotypical.  Although things were already changing by my late teens.
As a child though, where I lived it seemed to be a man's role to provide, see to the garden and fix things and a woman's place to run the home.
Dad was great in the garden, he could grow anything, fruit, veg, flowers. He made it look easy and effortless.  I was never involved in that side of things.  Dad would say to me 'keep away from the grasscutter you might blow yourself up' and I was happy to oblige.  I was a quite careless, day dreamy sort and may well have gone over a wire.  (I know you can get circuit breakers though)I just do the basics now; I am a bit clueless re proper gardening, (oh, I sound like an echo of PharmaT; I hope she is okay and will return one day) although I can admire the work of others who have skill in gardening.
Mam went out in the garden on one occasion with a spade, and it was such a momentous event she got someone to take a photo of her to record the evidence!
I do believe there is truth in the proverb about 'teach a child the way he/she should go and when they are older they will not depart from it'.
Dad did teach me to love family & local history through his story telling and trips he would take me on .. I blame that for my passion for this and being here today ..  ;)

Added: Oh two more posts as I have typed.  Good to hear you have had had lots of good wishes and lovely gifts Viktoria.  Hope the glass can be found.🍷

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 15:58 BST (UK) »
Nice sunny afternoon and so we took a trip to Chew Valley lake, about 15 miles. Sat in the car by the waters edge and watched a family of Canada Geese - Mum and Dad and about eighteen chicks, wandering over the grass having a good feed. They were soon joined by the rest of the family, about another 20 of various ages and sizes, foraging in the grass and grassy banks.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 22:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, that saying used to be on the wall at Sunday School .

A lovely day, and daughter will phone in a little while.
Normally Mondays but let me enjoy my son’s long overdue visit ,so this evening instead.

Spent some time with lovely neighbour ,she had to be taken by daughter to Dr’s this morning but Dr seems satisfied nothing to worry about .I did not pry so no idea why.
We always have a good laugh .
I wish she had WiFi ,so many lovely pictures / videos of baby and Flash Harry.
Grand daughter also,phoned  this morning but I had just served breakfast and son wanted to be on his way ,so I excused myself and she said she would phone later ,but nothing as yet.

Got a leaflet through the post PillTime ,- NHS prescriptions.
Delivered to your door ,that happens with Lloyds’ but between them and the Health Centre etc often dangerous delays in essential medicines !- and often when you are going away etc .

My late Nephew’s Birthday soon, so a card to my sister and flowers , he would in all probability have been in Aus, but at least he was there.
It must be terribly hard.
She has one daughter fairly close, ,in distance, who is very supportive.

No wineglass as yet, can’t even think it will have been thrown away .

That was a big brood Jeff,18, what do Canada Geese  goslings look like  — yellow?

Goodnight everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 22:18 BST (UK) »
They were a lightish grey.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 22:30 BST (UK) »
We get lots of Canada geese here, near the marshes on the outskirts of town. I love to see them flying over in formation in autumn, off on their travels. You can sometimes hear them honking before they come into view.

Viktoria, not sure how far away your neighbour is but you might be able to connect to your own WiFi from her house if it's nearby.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 23:27 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks, she is next door,we  share a party wall!
I can hear her telly!
Does not bother me at all.
Will try tomorrow.
I would love to put F,H and baby on RootsChat like the fantastic twins ,it has been lovely seeing them grow.
Must ask parents’ permission first though.

Off to bed ,I am quite tired and if I don’t go now I will  be up watching Morse until 2 O’Clock.
Night night
Viktoria..

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 May 22 18:41 BST (UK) »
Posted a card to my sister today,it will be her late son’s Birthday soon so I thought she would like to know others were thinking of him and her .

A lovely photograph of the sea ,calm and at early evening ,a small boat ,but no one in it. No words but mine.
A poem was read at his non religious funeral ,to the effect that when he was not here ,on family occasions for example ,he had gone fishing.
His favourite hobby.

I was not my usual self in the card shop ,I got quite upset, could  not see very well ,I was going to write it there and post it straight away , but had to come home to do it .
It has gone in a little post box nearby ,collection tomorrow ,needs to be there for 29 th .
Hope it gets there ,my Grand daughter’s card to me has not  come but was posted on Saturday .

My little tray of Nasturtium seedlings has somehow blown out of the small,lightweight  greenhouse, none damaged as they are trailing ones ,but strange it has happened .

Made a batch of a general purpose sauce ,peppers,onions ,Italian herbs ,tomatoes etc.
Will freeze in one portion  amounts .
Very nice with rice and today Swedish Meat Balls from Quorn.

I want some nematodes ,to gobble up Vine Weevil grubs , must look it up.

Decided to wash the electric under blanket ,but what a job detaching it from the cable ,managed it but not washed yet .
It is in the spare bedroom , not dirty but I would not like to have one in my bed that someone else had used .So a “ tomorrow “ job now!
Weather will decide .
My son slept in the bed of course ,so it is possible my daughter will  use that bed if  she comes  up for me.

Another week almost over ,gosh they fly by .
Hope everyone is doing well.

Our town is showing a lot of bunting etc ,not sure if the 40’s weekend is to be replaced by Jubilee celebrations , probably.
The Queen deserves it.

Well cheerio ,look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 May 22 22:39 BST (UK) »
Just catching up with the diary entries and see that I have missed your birthday Viktoria, so …. Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a very pleasant day.  :)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 May 22 02:06 BST (UK) »
Happy belated birthday from me as well, Viktoria.  I have returned from my trip to the Niagara region, good to see everyone, including the expectant parents.  The first day was quite warm and there were storms across southern and eastern Ontario and into Quebec, OH said it got suddenly dark here and very windy so he took the dog down to the basement just in case.  Neighbour lost a big branch, but not a lot of damage, although power was out for hours.  Others did not fare so well, ten fatalities, some actual tornadoes occurred, northeast of Toronto.
Son and his partner live near Ottawa and when they got home found out their power had been out for ten hours.
While there my daughters and I went to see the new Downton Abbey movie, thoroughly enjoyed it. First time at a movie theatre in several years, this one had nice reclining seats.

Here is my wild animal report - just after I left my daughter’s yesterday a deer wandered into her drive and then crossed over the neighbour’s.  Couldn’t tell from her pics if it was a young male or a female with small antlers.  She was chomping on the neighbour’s plants, daughter says he is very fussy about his yard, he was probably cursing the deer!

We have had a rare blonde mallard female duck with her mate in our backyard.  Very striking, creamy and gold.  According to the internet they are rare, but I did see one at the park last summer, it might be the same duck, I suppose.

Came home quite tired from my trip but feeling better now.

Hope everyone is well.