Author Topic: 1939 register queries  (Read 934 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 register queries
« on: Tuesday 24 May 22 16:28 BST (UK) »
   I have 2 questions about the attached clip. First, is there another version where the black strips are differently positioned? You will see that they are crooked and covering Harry's occupation . I am pretty sure it says "colliery", but no more is visible. Under the second black strip, I think it says Pearson, Dorman Long, who I think owned the colliery. So who is lurking under there?
   Secondly, why are the next 2 lines blacked out anyway, note the numbering. Edith is Harry's wife and they married in 1937. There are several entries like this in this register.
    The letter code is DJBC.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register queries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
Interesting to see the sculptor Henry Moore further down the page.

The images on Ancestry and FindMyPast look exactly the same.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 16:45 BST (UK) »
Did Harry have children from a previous marriage?

Both FindMyPast and The Genealogist suggest Harry's occupation as Collier Worker Above Motor Driver Heavy Worker  and then First Aid, Pearson Dorman for the next partially visible bit.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:02 BST (UK) »
  Does that mean he took up 3 lines? If that is the case it seems a bit pointless to black them out?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:04 BST (UK) »
  Just checked - no obvious earlier marriage.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:08 BST (UK) »
The redacted images are living people at the time they were digitised by FindMyPast.  They are supposed to be updating this on a yearly basis but after talking to ancestry about this they have not ever received any updates.  I havent contacted FindMyPast about this but I dont see any updates on there either.  I would think the 2 redacted images are children of the couple. 

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:08 BST (UK) »
  Does that mean he took up 3 lines? If that is the case it seems a bit pointless to black them out?

As I understand it, each individual occupies one line, and all individuals born after 1920 (or deemed probably still living when the sheets were compiled) are automatically redacted by the system.  I believe redacted records can be revealed if proof can be shown that an individual has died - but of course one must know who is where  :D.  I have seen several examples of crooked redacting, making some words visible, as in your case - and one or two where wrong lines have been covered or revealed ....
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:09 BST (UK) »

As I understand it, each individual occupies one line, and all individuals born after 1920 (or deemed probably still living when the sheets were compiled) are automatically redacted by the system.  I believe redacted records can be revealed if proof can be shown that an individual has died - but of course one must know who is where  :D.  I have seen several examples of crooked redacting, making some words visible, as in your case - and one or two where wrong lines have been covered or revealed ....

Redacting was not automatic it was done before each image was then digitised
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 17:13 BST (UK) »
It's possible that they had a couple of evacuees with them.