Author Topic: Where was Margaret Richardson in 1841?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was Margaret Richardson in 1841?
« on: Tuesday 31 May 22 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been looking for Margaret b. 1828 on and off for a while, and wondered if a fresh pair of eyes might spot her.

She was b. 1828 according to most census in Bishop Auckland, though there is one that gives Darlington.I think her bapt must be the one on 26th feb 1828, St Andrew Auckland,  mother Mary, no father's name.

She Married William Thompson , a sinker, later violin maker, in Bp Auckland in 1846, witnesses Martha Richardson, and  William's brother , Anthony Thompson. Marriage cert gives her father as Robert MOOR, coachman. I did find a possible father , a chaise driver living in Hurworth on Tees in 1841, although he would have been around  15/16 when Margaret was conceived, and her possible mother would have been about 7 years older.
There is a (fallen over) headstone for Wm and Margaret Thompson in St Andrew Auckland churchyard. There is also one for William and Dorothy Richardson and some of their family, Wm and Dorothy are possibly Margaret's grandparents, whose son James was baptized on the same day as Margaret.

It was Martha Richardson as a witness which makes me pretty sure Margaret was the daughter of the Mary Richardson b. 1805 Bp Auckland, who was Martha's sister and daughter of William Richardson and his wife Dorothy (nee Thompson, but from Gateshead). Mother Mary Richardson married James Elliot from Scotland and they are there in 1841, with another Richardson sister, Hannah, but Margaret is not. Indeed, the Richardsons seemed to be a clannish bunch as Martha worked in 1851 for her sister Dorothy Roseby*, and an Elliot child is visiting another Richardson sister in Bp. Auckland in 1851.
I have all census of the family 51 to 91, they stayed in Bishop Auckland and Margaret died there in 1996.

So to recap, Margaret may be in England or Scotland and may also be Margaret Moor!

* John Roseby,  husband to Dorothy was important in the  ironstone industry, and their family did very well financially, and socially,  but their son William caused a bit of a scandal !

For those of you with " A" subs, see the Howe family tree for all the info to date.

Thanks for reading :)
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia