Author Topic: Mother's Maiden Name Issue  (Read 1306 times)

Offline sahpixie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mother's Maiden Name Issue
« on: Monday 06 June 22 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have a very odd situation and I wonder if anyone might have any suggestions as to why this might be.  I am trying to look into my paternal grandmother's side of the family but it's extremely weird. I know who her birth mother was - less sure about the father.  My great-grandmother was just under 14 at the time, in 1916, and did go on (in 1925) to marry the supposed father of my grandmother. Other than the bewildering array of questions this whole situation brings up, my main one is why does the birth registration show my great grandmother's maiden name as the surname of her child's apparent father?  Her maiden name was Harris, but on the birth registration is shown as Turrell which is the surname of the father. 

In addition to this, I cannot find any birth certificate on the GRO site.  Any idea why that might be?

Many thanks for any help or suggestions! I've spoken to my dad, but he doesn't know anything other than what he grew up being told.
Sarah

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Mother's Maiden Name Issue
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 22 20:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm feeling a bit dense tonight so would appreciate a bit more explanation.

Are you saying that your gt grandmother was only 13 when your grandmother (her daughter) was born??

I'm assuming that when you ask about the birth registration, you mean that of your grandmother?
Her maiden name was Harris, but on the birth registration is shown as Turrell which is the surname of the father
-- so was your gt-grandmother's maiden name Harris? and your grandmother registered as Turrell? Or am I reading that wrong?

If the above is correct -- an illegitimate child can have 2 birth certificates, one in the mother's name and the other in the reputed father's name, but the father has to be present when the birth is registered to allow this. So have you searched for another birth with the Turrell name, perhaps misspelt? The easiest way to do this, if you have your grandmother's birth registration, is to search in the correct quarter, year and place, for all children registered just with the appropriate first names (you can do this on freebmd.org.uk if the birth was registered in England or Wales).

Was your grandmother born in Sussex?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 22 20:22 BST (UK) »
an illegitimate child can have 2 birth certificates, one in the mother's name and the other in the reputed father's name, but the father has to be present when the birth is registered to allow this
I think this should read birth indexed under both surnames? Only 1 birth certificate would be issued.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 22 20:39 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother was just under 14 at the time, in 1916, and did go on (in 1925) to marry the supposed father of my grandmother …
why does the birth registration show my great grandmother's maiden name as the surname of her child's apparent father?  Her maiden name was Harris, but on the birth registration is shown as Turrell which is the surname of the father. 

In addition to this, I cannot find any birth certificate on the GRO site.  Any idea why that might be?

Welcome to Rootschat. I don’t quite understand this.

Where have you seen the birth registration?
What do you mean about the ‘birth certificate on the GRO site’ which you cannot find?

Are you able to give the full names of the mother, child and possible father?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 22 21:10 BST (UK) »
Was your grandmother born at the end of 1916 (November/December) in Steyning. There is a birth registered 1st quarter of 1917 (Turrell mmn Turrell), 3 more births followed.  The first Turrell mmn Harris birth is 1927, so after the 1925 marriage.  There must be 2 different mothers, because 2 of the births are in consecutive quarters.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 22 22:05 BST (UK) »
The child b 1916 is with a different family in 1921, I think. The surname is neither of the ones mentioned.
If mother was so young, perhaps the child was fostered/adopted.

It would be best to know the names though rather than keep speculating.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 22 23:03 BST (UK) »
an illegitimate child can have 2 birth certificates, one in the mother's name and the other in the reputed father's name,

No it can't.

As aghadowey said...there would be a  single registration which might be indexed more than once.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 00:27 BST (UK) »
I would be surprised if the 13 year old mother registered the birth (but who knows, maybe?) Mistakes do happen- my great great grandfather, when registering his only son, got his wife's maiden name wrong (one of her middle names was recorded as her maiden). Perhaps the informant was asked about the father at some point and the names got muddled on the record.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 02:38 BST (UK) »
why does the birth registration show my great grandmother's maiden name as the surname of her child's apparent father?  Her maiden name was Harris, but on the birth registration is shown as Turrell which is the surname of the father.  In addition to this, I cannot find any birth certificate on the GRO site.

Do you have the birth certificate?  If not then there is no point in speculating without seeing it.  If it is the birth in Steyning then it is indexed on both FreeBMD as well as the GRO.  The GRO will not index a maiden name if it is not clear that the mother's recorded surname is her birth name.

Debra  :)