Author Topic: My Heritage DNA  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage DNA
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 June 22 11:40 BST (UK) »
Uploading Raw DNA data does not always give the same results with another Company, there are differences in the data management processes.

As it happens there is a person on My Heritage who has taken their test and I want to see how we actually relate with cM values since I am expecting a 300+ cM match between us.

This is why I have taken a My Heritage test.

Is that so? That’s interesting.

Have you previously uploaded your raw data from elsewhere to My Heritage?  If so, it will be interesting to see how those results compare to results of the test done directly with My Heritage. How many cms do you currently compare with your expected 300cm match?

When you get the results would you please let us know.  :)

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 June 22 14:14 BST (UK) »
Uploading Raw DNA data does not always give the same results with another Company, there are differences in the data management processes.

As it happens there is a person on My Heritage who has taken their test and I want to see how we actually relate with cM values since I am expecting a 300+ cM match between us.

This is why I have taken a My Heritage test.

Is that so? That’s interesting.

Have you previously uploaded your raw data from elsewhere to My Heritage?  If so, it will be interesting to see how those results compare to results of the test done directly with My Heritage. How many cms do you currently compare with your expected 300cm match?

When you get the results would you please let us know.  :)

I have not uploaded my Ancestry DNA data to My Heritage, the person in question had a certain surname in her tree that rings very large bells to me and from her tree I could see she is a Cousin to a high match that I have on Ancestry.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 June 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
I haven't taken a MyHeritage DNA test, but I did take a LivingDNA test (out of frustration at my Ancestry tests repeatedly failing processing) and eventually an Ancestry test that succeeded on my fourth attempt.

I uploaded the LivingDNA test to MyHeritage, and for matches who appear on both MyHeritage and Ancestry, the match lengths are generally greater on MyHeritage than on Ancestry, even allowing for the latter's Timber algorithm.

I also uploaded both my Ancestry and LivingDNA tests to GEDmatch, where interestingly I found very little difference between the results. But I created a superkit from the two uploads, and that had the effect of not only stripping out some of the lower matches, but also reordering the higher matches, e.g. increasing the match lengths of some and decreasing other. The effect was again only slight, but noticeable due to the change in order of highest to lowest as presented in the highest 50 matches, for instance.

Typing this has reminded me that I must upload my Ancestry test to MyHeritage, as I have been comparing results on MyHeritage for shared matches between my brother and me, but his test is an Ancestry transfer in, and mine as said is LivingDNA.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 June 22 11:10 BST (UK) »
Biggles, do you have links to any sites which explain the difference in results between uploading raw data from a different company, compared to testing directly with the company?

I’m curious to read a bit more about it.  :)

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 June 22 13:31 BST (UK) »
There's an article by Roberta Estes on the use of imputation in genetic genealogy here:

https://dna-explained.com/2017/09/05/concepts-imputation/

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carmella. Despite that, Biggles huge DNA match is still likely to be significant and a common ancestor deduced if he had uploaded his raw data to My Heritage?

Seems like ‘accuracy” might be vaiable. My FTDNA results align fairly well with my My Heritage upload.

It would be really interesting to know what others who have tested with one company and uploaded to another, and then later gone on to take a test with the second company - and compare upload results, with direct test results.  :)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 09:54 BST (UK) »
At match lengths where the results are indisputable, and I generally take anything over 20 cM as falling into that category, the differences are minimal and not worth bothering about IMO. Yes, one test might give you a slightly larger total cM than another, but how do you know which test is the more accurate, if either?

One caveat is that if you have tested with a company that provide segment and chromosome data, I can see the value of comparing tests taken with the same company.

For smaller matches, where the chances of the match being false (IBC etc.) are significant, I don't regard a match alone as having any significant value, unless it is corroborated by other research, in which case each piece of evidence has a value in adding weight to the other.

As I mentioned above, if you create a superkit on GEDmatch from two or more tests taken with different providers, you will lose quite a few of the smaller matches, because with more actual data to compare and less imputation, some of the false matches are stripped out.

Unfortunately, GEDmatch has a much smaller database than some of the other companies, particularly Ancestry, so again the value is limited unless a potential match already has their test on GEDmatch or they can be persuaded to upload it for comparison.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire