Author Topic: Furlong family Coolroe  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Furlong family Coolroe
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 July 22 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, Im hoping someone can help me figure out the William Furlong first referred to in this post. I believe he was born in 1845 to parents John and Anne Connors, the father's name is confirmed from the marriage certificate. This baptism matches as they are residing in the townland of Leegane (I think? Its the only one that sort of matches). As they later reside in the towland of Coolroe, which is not that far from Leegane I think this could be right.

However when looking for baptisms of his siblings, the towland they reside in appears to be Templenacrona, which is a long way from both Leegane and Coolroe. I suppose they couldve been there for work but it that conflicts with Griffith's valuation 1845-47 saying there is a John and Anne Furlong living there.

What confuses me a bit more is that I believe the some of the family later appears in a townland named Island (?) none of which seem to be close to Coolroe.

I think this might be Johns death:
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01roe/

Backed up by the marriage being registered by Daughter in law Anastasia, a marriage between a John Furlong and an Anastasia with an Anne Connors as witness:
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rof/

Does this make sense to a fresh pair of eyes? or might these be two completely different families? thanks :)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 July 22 23:37 BST (UK) »
There are 5 Coolroe townlands in Co. Wexford, 6 if you count the division of one into official Great and Little portions. That being so, it would be a great idea if OP could remind us as to just which Coolroe is intended?

There are 23 townlands in Wexford with "island" as some part of their name, and 4 simply named "Island".
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 July 22 00:19 BST (UK) »
Ah yes sorry ::) forgot how many there are.

It’s this one:
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/shelburne/tintern/tintern/coolroe/

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 July 22 01:06 BST (UK) »

What confuses me a bit more is that I believe the some of the family later appears in a townland named Island (?) none of which seem to be close to Coolroe.

I think this might be Johns death:
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01roe/

There is an "Island" which is not that far from Coolroe in Tintern - Great Island. Not that close either though.
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/shelburne/kilmokea/kilmokea/great-island/

This is probably the "Island" in question.

In general, it is hard to follow the who/what/where of your recent query, as you don't state or reference where the information is coming from. Which parish registers, etc.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 July 22 04:38 BST (UK) »
However when looking for baptisms of his siblings, the towland they reside in appears to be Templenacrona, which is a long way from both Leegane and Coolroe. I suppose they couldve been there for work but it that conflicts with Griffith's valuation 1845-47 saying there is a John and Anne Furlong living there.

Where is "there"? Coolroe?

Assuming that is what you mean, the Valuation Office records online at the NAI do show the names of a John and Anne Furlong in Coolroe.  The house valuation originally performed on 11/6/1845 can be seen here

census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246834_01051.pdf

You can see that John was originally listed, but his name was then crossed out and replaced by Anne at a later date (in a different pen). That means that John died, and the property passed to Anne, between 11/6/1845 and whenever the revision was made - late 1852 at the latest, in preparation for Griffith's Valuation. So he died between 1845 and 1852, too early for civil registration of his death.

From the 1845 valuation of their farm buildings, they were obviously relatively well-to-do farmers. You can also see the size of their house and outhouses.

Griffith's Valuation in 1853 shows Anne Furlong in Coolroe holding a 26 acre farm, with a farmstead worth over 2 pounds.

Griffith's Valuation also shows a John Furlong and other Furlongs in Great Island - clearly different families.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 July 22 04:57 BST (UK) »
The 1834 Tythe applotment for the parish of Tintern shows both a John and William Furlong in Coolroe.

titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625725/004625725_00542.pdf

So, seems to me the Furlong family were in Coolroe all along, and not wandering about - as might be expected for moderate farmers.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 July 22 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, Im hoping someone can help me figure out the William Furlong first referred to in this post. I believe he was born in 1845 to parents John and Anne Connors, the father's name is confirmed from the marriage certificate. This baptism matches as they are residing in the townland of Leegane (I think? Its the only one that sort of matches). As they later reside in the towland of Coolroe, which is not that far from Leegane I think this could be right.

I can't follow this at all  ???  It would be so much easier if you provided links to the events you are discussing, or at least state where the events took place in terms of specific parishes and dates.

In any case, my confusion is as follows:

- You state that you think that William Furlong was baptized in 1845 in Leegane. Leegane is in the parish of Clongeen, and Clongeen registers don't start until 1847, as far as I can see, so how can that be?

- Alternatively, if they were actually in Coolroe the parish of Ballycullane, but you think the location given is for some reason Leegane, then I don't see a baptism for a William Furlong in 1845 (but I could easily have missed)

Either way, doesn't seem to work out.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 July 22 11:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that, I had all the links open on my computer and got too caught up in my query to actually add them.

this is the baptism of William Furlong 05 June 1845:
https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633988#page/68/mode/1up

These are later baptisms of who I believe could be siblings, residing in the townland of Templenacrona:

Eleanor, 1848:
https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633988#page/90/mode/1up

Margaret, 1850:
https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633990#page/6/mode/1up

All of these baptisms took place in the parish of Adamstown.

I hadn’t seen the tithe applotment book of 1834, so thanks for that. It does seem as if they were always in Coolroe.