Author Topic: DNA tests  (Read 866 times)

Offline Wulfsige

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA tests
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 22 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Yes, I have trees on both Ancestry and MyHeritage, tracing the male lines of my four grandparents (with of course some female data). They each meet a brick wall some time in the 1700s. The Young direct male line seems to have a gap in the 1720s where I can find no record of the birth of a presumed ancestor; after that the tree goes back to the 1550s. So I have created two separate trees, so as not to 'cheat' by assuming the missing John really had an unrecorded birth (or had a lost record), rather than being a John Young who moved to Somerset, presumably as a farm labourer, from many miles away (i.e. not just across the nearby Wiltshire border). 
Young, Gameson, Miles, Williamson, Cramond

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 June 22 11:50 BST (UK) »
You are good to go then.

With Ancestry you can presently only link your DNA results to one tree at a time.

Once it has processed the data you will be presented with your DNA matches starting with the closest match which will have the highest cM figure.

If you look up DNA Painter and select the Shared cM tool, enter your matches cM figure and it will show the percentage probabilities for different relationship options.

As a guide my Third Cousins tend to be in the 70cM to 130cM range.

Once you are linked and the results are in view the matches and select the Common Ancestors filter and you will be presented with your matches who have some information and Ancestry has matched your to your DNA matches by building branches from various trees.  Do note it does not always get it right and can miss a generation but it does provide a guide.  Common Ancestor hints probably have accounted for about fifty Cousins being included in my tree.

Cannot advise on My Heritage, my DNA test with them is still being analysed.

Good luck.

Offline Wulfsige

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 June 22 15:25 BST (UK) »
This all sounds very worthwhile. I must try to bend my ageing mind to it. What I would really like is if DNA could bridge the gap, to discover which of the many men christened John Young (or left unchristened) in the 1720s was my direct ancestor. We reckon his parents were John & Martha, and his grandparents Samuel & Joan, but we have been unable to prove it. I reckon present or future DNA analysis would identify descendants of (say) Samuel and Joan, and find if it is to them (via Joh and his son John) I am descended.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 22 19:07 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Y-DNA on FTDNA as well as doing autosomal? It may not give you the result you want but it's another arrow in your quiver.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Wulfsige

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 June 22 09:24 BST (UK) »
I'll check on this. At present I am keeping all replies to my question, to investigate thoroughly in a longer and more comprehensive session (or sessions).