Author Topic: William Mosley in Dipton  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mosley in Dipton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you emeltom,

They look right and the location of Newcastle seems to indicate deaths in hospital as there were no major hospitals in the Dipton area - where they lived.  This makes me think TB, Scarlet Fever or something equally bad.  Thank you, I will check this out

Looks like they were buried at St John's  Westgate and Elswick (commonly billed as Elswick Cemetery)

Florence Maggie/Meggie
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:CX3X-GHZM

and Elizabeth

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:CX3F-6XZM

Boo

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 14:05 BST (UK) »
That address is fairly close to Newcastle General Hospital but a long way from Dipton so unless there was some reason for burying them as close to the hospital, I must assume that they are the wrong people.  It is just incredible that there were two deaths of a mother and daughter with the same names and approximate ages and at the same time - all this coincidence and living only about 10 miles apart!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 14:36 BST (UK) »
If they had died at the hospital the burial record would normally say so (though not always). I can't see any other likely death registrations for either Elizabeth or Florence.

I suspect this address of 56  Longley Street, may have been the home of their son.

Florence Meggie's birth registration has a MMN of Knowley

The 1883 electoral register for 56 Longley St shows a John Nowley Mosley at that address
EDIT Sorry mean to say this is the municipal electors register and he's still there in the 1884-1885 register, by 1886 he's not at that address

and there is a birth reg for a John Nowley Mosley in Q3 1859, Durham, with a MMN name of Nowley

which appears to be a match for the John K[nowley]?, son of William on the 1881 census?

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 15:18 BST (UK) »
I suspect this address of 56  Longley Street, may have been the home of their son.

This snip from the Newcastle Courant 20 June 1884 seems to confirm that theory
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 15:34 BST (UK) »
Just beat me to it Jennifer :-)

and this is the transcript of her burial on FS
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:CX3N-NST2

Neville if you can get to the Newcastle library, they have these burials registers on microfilm, or if the family in NZ can get to an LDS Family History centre they will be able to get the burial registers there (they are digitised but only viewable at a FHC as TWAS wont give permission for them to be available on the web)

Boo

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 16:17 BST (UK) »
Tickettyboo and JenB,

Thank you very much for this information.  There is no co-incidence here at all but I still cannot understand why she was living with him when she was still married to his father.  My friend in NZ has confirmed that John (K)Nowley Mosley was his grandfather and he is the one to emigrate to NZ.  He had worked in the family joinery business but was also a coal miner and followed on his trade by moving around the mines.  Even the family are not sure whether the correct spelling of his name is with a K or an N!
We are also grateful for the press cutting and report on the death of his other daughter, Sarah Isabella.  I am so glad that Malcolm was burning the midnight oil in NZ and I was able to get an answer!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 16:34 BST (UK) »
As it was in between census years its difficult to know if she and the children were living with her son and William was still in Dipton. 
Unless there is any evidence to the contrary its entirely possible that they were all in Newcastle.
Maybe their son had plenty of work in Newcastle and things were slow in Dipton, so perhaps they all went to stay with him and then moved back again after Elizabeth and the children died - or when their son emigrated.
I have a family who moved from a street in Gateshead  to another in Newcastle in between census years. Three years later they moved back to the same house in Gateshead. Luckily they had children born on both sides of the Tyne during those years, if not for their birth and baptism records I wouldn't have known about the 'temporary emigration' to t'other side of the Tyne :-)
Boo

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 16:54 BST (UK) »
Boo,

I found William in the 1881 Census with his whole family in Dipton.  In the 1891 Census he was living in the nearby town of Stanley.  In between I have found absolutely nothing about him - so anything might have happened but the sawmill survived and it was a thriving business long after William's death.  So I doubt whether he would have left it unattended.  But the people are the most important aspect and the help that you and JenB have given me has been amazing.  I am delighted and when I have put it all together and sent it to him my friend in NZ will be very happy!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 17:02 BST (UK) »
I still cannot understand why she was living with him when she was still married to his father.

I don't think you should read too much into this.

All we actually know is that they were there when they died, one at the end of March and one at the beginning of June 1884. They might have gone on a visit and been taken ill. They might have gone for family support because William was too busy with his business.

The fact that they both died at the same address in Newcastle within about six weeks of each other doesn't mean that they were living there permanently.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk