Author Topic: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information  (Read 21760 times)

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gregor Aubrey Graham was the husband of my Great-Aunt - he was born in UK I think, but certainly married in Portsmouth, Hampshire in 1904. 
He was a Civil Engineer for many years working for the Government Railways in Nigeria from 1916 until 1927 when he was knighted for his services.
I have next found him in Kitale, in the Trans Nzoia electoral area of Kenya where his occupation is stated to be Planter - in 1934 his elder son, was also living in Kitale and he was a Mechanical Engineer according to Voters Poll Lists in the Kenyan Gazette.  The latter then moved to the electoral area of Coast - in particular the Taveta Estate in 1936.
I know that Sir Gregor died in a Nursing Home in Pietersmaritzburg in the Natal in September 1947 after 7 years illness. 
I would be grateful to receive any more information about Sir Gregor as I have a gap from 1938 until his death.
In addition, I haven't been able to find any further trace of his son's whereabouts since 1938 either.  He was born in January 1906 in Southsea, Hampshire, and around in 1911 for the census but not in 1921 with his mother, sister and younger son living in Totnes, Devon.  I have no idea if he married and have no proof either that he has died although this seems likely as he would now be 118 - older than the verified oldest man still alive! so I haven't included his name in this message.
Thank you for bothering to read this message and any help offered will be very gratefully received and appreciated.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for replying so quickly about his son's whereabouts.

Wow - can't believe I forgot to add that he was knighted in 1927 although of course he was Sir Gregor by the time he was resident in Kenya - remembered to mention that in my post in the Nigerian section - presumably his service in the Railways there was why he received that award - not helpful so many apologies.

Cheers and thanks again.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
It looks like he was usually known as Aubrey Gregor Graham, rather than Gregor Aubrey Graham.

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
You are so right - forgot to mention that as well - sorry - In 1916 was still known as Gregor Aubrey as per a Ship's Passenger List in that year but according to the relevant ship's passenger list in 1918 he was recorded as being Aubrey Graham and was known that way for the rest of his life.

Because he travelled back to UK so regularly - about every 2 years - and with the family records I have managed to find, I am positive that they are one and the same person however.

Thank you again.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
ShaunJ -
Thank you once more - I had wondered about his place of birth - had found something about NZ but wondered if it was a village called NZ in Wiltshire.
Very intriguing about his daughter as I and a friend helping me haven't found any records of a marriage and have just checked that name against all 3 ancestry sites with no luck unfortunately.
Many thanks again

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 00:11 BST (UK) »
Have you investigated http://www.europeansineastafrica.co.uk/? It’s a very rich resource.

There’s information about the Preddy family, in particular Frank Preddy, Monica’s husband. They also include Leslie’s death in 2000 under Sir Gregor’s entry, though you will need to check the sources.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 05:06 BST (UK) »
First, I must apologise for not reading all the info on your other message and repeating the information you were already given.
Regarding his son George Angus Ian Graham, I  have found an article relating to his death in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette dated 2 August, 1940. It is a rather lengthy one so I will be brief.
Lieutenant Graham R.N. Son of Aubrey of Kenya and Lady Graham of  Sunnysideup, Chardstock, was accidentally killed 9 days ago up in Scotland during execution of his duties, and was buried at sea with full naval honours. He was First Lieutenant in a submarine.
There is a full description of his naval career. He visited his mother in Chardstock while on leave. He had an elder brother Leslie who was serving with the Kenya Forces and a sister, Mrs Preddy, also residing in Kenya.