Author Topic: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information  (Read 21761 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 11:49 BST (UK) »
Not very helpfully - the East African Standard was very much the settlers' newspaper. The British Library holds some copies (if I remember they are only the Saturday editions) and they are not digitised. A long search through these might reveal nuggets of information, or might not. I trawled through many copies in the old reading rooms many years ago (and found nothing on the person I was looking for!)
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you GrahamSimons for trying to help me anyway - appreciated.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 12:26 BST (UK) »
It's confusing having two threads on the go !
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 22 12:39 BST (UK) »
Ili1133 - Thank you for that link - will have a look at it shortly.

Middlesbrough - Please don't apologise - it's my fault completely - as shaunj Has just posted it's very confusing having 2 threads on the go at the same time - I must admit I hadn't realised that so many of the Rootschat community would read both threads - had thought I was reaching out to more people this way and it is down to me for not realising how wonderful everyone is in their diligence and research - I promise I won't make the same mistake again.
Thank you for the extra information about all 3 of the children of Sir & Lady Graham - very enlightening and obviously more research required by myself.

ShaunJ - yes - apologies for my error in doing this at the same time and thank you for helping me regardless.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 June 22 04:08 BST (UK) »
I had a look through both posts but I didn't see any reference as to whether Gregor/Aubrey was listed on the UK 1911 census?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 June 22 09:06 BST (UK) »
Rosinish - He isn't on the 1911 Census - it was completed by his wife and on the Return she wrote that her husband was working abroad. 

Unfortunately I haven't found any trace of him before 1914 but he may have been in Nigeria at that time as the first source I have then is that he was on a Passenger List of the ship Karina returning to the UK from the West Coast of Africa - from Focardos to Liverpool, although he disembarked at Plymouth, in March 1914 - his occupation is shown as Civil Engineer.  He was 46 so think he may have been working abroad, if not Nigeria, for some considerable time before.

I am still finding more Passenger Lists that I have yet to investigate fully so maybe able to prove his whereabouts before both 1911 and 1914.

Thank you for raising this point as it has reminded me to check Passenger Lists thoroughly again.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
It's difficult to know where to post what.

It would be an idea to have 1 of the threads locked with a message directing people to reply on the other thread...

Link to other thread - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rmr/

Regarding his son George Angus Ian Graham, I  have found an article relating to his death in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette dated 2 August, 1940.
Lieutenant Graham R.N. Son of Aubrey of Kenya and Lady Graham of  Sunnysideup, Chardstock, was accidentally killed 9 days ago up in Scotland during execution of his duties, and was buried at sea with full naval honours. He was First Lieutenant in a submarine.

Death index on SP (scotlandspeople)...

GRAHAM GEORGE ANGUS I - 25 - 1940 - 507/ 72 Campbeltown (Argyll)

Hopefully it should help when you receive the marriage cert. of Gregor/Aubrey with name & occ. of father & maybe a relative as a witness.

For others following...http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rms/

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The other thread has already been locked, Annie, but there’s no message yet redirecting people here.

In fact this is to add a little to the original question on that thread about Sir Aubrey’s ‘missing years’ in Nigeria. The Blue Book 1921 for Nigeria (accessed through Google) has him employed in the Railway Administration Department, as Divisional Superintendent and seconded as Chief Construction Engineer to the Eastern Railway. Date of appointment to the Colonial Administration: 21 Oct 1900.

His career must have started earlier than that, so was he working previously on railway construction either in Nigeria or another of the African projects?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
The other thread has already been locked, Annie, but there’s no message yet redirecting people here.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed but I've requested a Mod to direct others to reply here.

Annie