Author Topic: Staceys of Knottingley  (Read 197 times)

Offline HappyGoLucky33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Staceys of Knottingley
« on: Sunday 19 June 22 08:10 BST (UK) »
From my research, I can claim descent from William Stacey, a wheelwright who lived in Knottingley at the end of the 18th century. There’s very little information about him. He seems to have been married twice but the identity of his first wife remains a mystery. He had 2 children, John in 1786 and Mary in 1788, before marrying a lady named Frances Hudnell in 1793 and having a further 11 children with her. He died in 1815 and his burial entry in the PRs of St Boltolph suggests he was born circa 1761.

There were just 2 other Stacey families living in Knottingley around the same time as my William.
Joseph Stacey had a son named John baptised at St Botolph’ in 1788. Joseph himself died young and was buried at the same church in 1790, aged 26. This puts his birth year as about 1764 so he was possibly a brother or cousin of my William.

There was also John Stacey who confusingly also married a lady named Frances. John was a wheelwright like my William and he had 11 children with her, all baptised in Knottingley between 1791 and 1811. John was buried in 1829 at St Botolph’s and his burial record puts his year of birth as around 1758.

So I have three men named Stacey, born between 1758 and 1764, all living in Knottingley around the same time. I’ve come to a dead end with my William Stacey but I would like to find the link between these men if there is one. There aren’t any earlier Stacey’s in the PRs for St Botolph’s so I’m not sure they were local originally. Their descendants were mariners and watermen on the river Aire so it’s possible they came from further afield as well. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes will be able to spot something I’ve missed?

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Staceys of Knottingley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 22 09:52 BST (UK) »
A possibility…

There is a William Stacey, of Wonersley (only 3 miles from Knottingley) to a Mary Colley, of Darrington,  married by banns at Darrington, 19 Dec 1785.

Correction: the date is 19 Sep 1785, as stated by ColC below.
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 22 10:19 BST (UK) »
I note the previous response but just to add.

William Stacey married Frances Honnell (as transcribed) by license,
 30 Jul 1793 Pontefract, St Giles and St Mary, no marriage status noted. Both signed X.

Two earlier children baptised, Pontefract as posted, no mother named but other baptiams noted both parents?
Mary Stacey   Baptism   8 Jan 1789   Pontefract, St Giles and St Mary   William   
John Stace   Baptism   24 Dec 1786   Pontefract, St Giles and St Mary   William   

No other marriages in Pontefract for William on Ancestry but there is this on freereg.

William STACEY of Womersley to Mary  COLLEY  of Darrington
   Marriage   19 Sep 1785   Yorkshire, West Riding   Darrington : St Luke and All Saints

Witnesses Edward JAQUES & Charles HAZARD

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 22 10:35 BST (UK) »
There are also the following, baptised at Fishill, to Samuel Stacey, of Syke House (Sykehouse)…
William, 28 Feb 1862
Joseph, 28 Mar 1770
John, 9 Apr 1749
Also, Hannah 1752, Samuel 1754 (bur 1759) Mary 1764 (bur 1768) Mary 1770, Sarah 1767 (bur 1758).

Does the name Samuel feature in the children of the Stacey men at Knottingley?

A will for John Stacey of Knottingley, probate 1829, do you have this will?

Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.