Author Topic: HELP!! me find great-grandfather John Robert Davis-emigrated to Australia 1800s  (Read 3446 times)

Offline kroberts236

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I know little about him other than what has been passed down from records:

Born "Ireland" or "Britain" (from his son's immigration records to US in 1912)

Nationality "British" (from grandfather's marriage certificate 1912)

Son: Ernest Davis (b. Beechworth, VIC 1872)

May have owned bar or pub in Australia, may have owned general store in Australia.

We know nothing about his wife or marriage but that he had a son, Ernest Davis, who is my grandfather.  He was born in Beechworth and left Australia for the China approx 1906 and later to the US.  Ernest's father is listed as "John Robert Davis" from "Britain" or "Ireland" on all documentation we have.  Ernest's mother may have been Portuguese or Portuguese-Chinese according to family DNA testing.

I know that I don't have much to go with but one has to start somewhere.  I'd be grateful for any help or just kicking me in the right direction.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ernest DAVIS (b. Beechworth, VIC 1872), your grandfather,  is the son of John Robert DAVIS?

Ernest DAVIS married, 1912......where?...to?

Ernest DAVIS was in US by 1912?

" He (Ernest DAVIS?) was born in Beechworth and left Australia for the China approx 1906 and later to the US.  Ernest's father is listed as "John Robert Davis" from "Britain" or "Ireland" on all documentation we have."

What documentation do you have?

Do you have a birth record for Ernest DAVIS?

Do you have a marriage record for Ernest DAVIS?

Can you please identify the USA immigration record that you see, 1912, which gives birthplace........of John Robert DAVIS, father of your Ernest DAVIS.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage transcript.  Does the original have his mother’s name missing too?

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:FW84-JBH

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Yes
It does.Mother born Hong Kong Portuguese Chinese  name unknown.

Family trees on line imply a half brother James.
Two deaths for a John Davis Beechworth  1838-1903 and 1838 -1915 .

Ciderdrinker

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Slightly confused if John Robert Davis, Ireland (according to his son's marriage cert) arrived in Australia in 1800, that meant he must have been born c 1780 or earlier and he fathered a son in 1871?
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kroberts236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ernest DAVIS (b. Beechworth, VIC 1872), your grandfather,  is the son of John Robert DAVIS?

Ernest DAVIS married, 1912......where?...to?

Ernest DAVIS was in US by 1912?

" He (Ernest DAVIS?) was born in Beechworth and left Australia for the China approx 1906 and later to the US.  Ernest's father is listed as "John Robert Davis" from "Britain" or "Ireland" on all documentation we have."

What documentation do you have?

Do you have a birth record for Ernest DAVIS?

Do you have a marriage record for Ernest DAVIS?

Can you please identify the USA immigration record that you see, 1912, which gives birthplace........of John Robert DAVIS, father of your Ernest DAVIS.

I do not have a birth record for Ernest Davis' birth.

We have found Ernest Davis in Queensland via voting records, and some indication that he was involved in a Chinese business. We know that he left Australia for China then went to the US.
We don't have a birth certificate though. 

I do have a marriage certificate for Ernest.  He apparently married his wife in China, then emigrated to the US via Hawaii, where they had a second ceremony.  Here is a link to that:

https://ulukau.org/algene/collect/algene/pdfs/Oahu_pdfs/O-73_1911-1913_pdfs/O-73%20p47.pdf

The immigration records are interviews with Ernest and his wife, along with some other records. Ernest apparently came to the US without his wife, got a job as a court translator then went back to China to bring her to the US. 

Offline kroberts236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Is this the immigration record (1908)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9B2-GS6X-V?cc=3477656&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3ACDCV-TPPZ

Passenger list

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99Z5-3RW?i=764&cc=2141044&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQV9Z-9Y86

Neither Of these mention his father.

Yes, those are correct; we know that the Ernest Davis mentioned there is him.

The original of the Hawaiian marriage certificate mentions parents but nothing about mother really.

https://ulukau.org/algene/collect/algene/pdfs/Oahu_pdfs/O-73_1911-1913_pdfs/O-73%20p47.pdf