Author Topic: The My Heritage results are in.  (Read 672 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The My Heritage results are in.
« on: Monday 20 June 22 16:00 BST (UK) »
Two mysteries aka brick walls.

1) high number of Italian Cousins, with the highest being an Ancestry DNA 240cM match.

2) an Ancestry DNA match of 364cM of Irish descent on one side of their family to which another 10 DNA matches are linked to this particular Irish family.

I have been in contact with a Cousin of the 364cM match as per 2) and the My Heritage DNA result show us as sharing 117cM which is a wee bit below what I expected.

Now in the My Heritage matches there is a 199cM match with a tree of three.  So I built a tree on them and found that this match’s Great Grandmother was the daughter of who I believe to be my own Great Great Grandfather and this satisfies 1) criteria.  Another branch is now in my tree to this match and a message has been sent to him, fingers cross for a reply.

Interestingly the My Heritage DNA Estimate of Ethnicity is a little different from Ancestry’s so I will put that down to the lies, damn lies and statistics saying that was all the rage years ago.

So I now have a whole batch of new and familiar DNA matches on My Heritage to work though, interesting times ahead.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The My Heritage results are in.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
My Heritage ethnicity estimates are notoriously poor - see many other threads about it.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 22 14:58 BST (UK) »
It has been a few days now and I have had chance to look at the results.

Top match, sorted he is part of my Italian clan.

Second, lower cM than expected but part of my Mystery Belcher family which is a major brick wall and a work in progress.

Third, another Belcher

Fourth, a French lady at 93.1 cM, no tree, indeterminate actual surname.  Suspect my Maternal Grandfather may have something to do with her ancestors from his time there in WW1 or she could be descended from A N Other

Fifth, another Belcher

Sixth, another Belcher

Seventh, another Belcher

Eighth, zero idea at present.  She has a minimal tree and no Surnames look familiar.

Ninth, a WIP

Tenth, French but of Italian descent and a Cecci surname in his tree that should like to my own Italian ancestors.

My Heritage is imo not a patch on Ancestry or FindMyPast, searching is a pain and family trees of my top DNA Matches are very limited in content.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 22 15:03 BST (UK) »
Have you used the Chromosome Browser with these matches  - under DNA Tools
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 22 21:15 BST (UK) »
Yes.

Interesting results.

2nd and 6th are 1C to each other yet share just one segment with each other.

The Italians (1st and 10th) have multiple shared segments.

4th (French lady) has no shared segments with any other who I include in the comparison.

The comparisons continue

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 22 22:26 BST (UK) »
What I like about My Heritage is that, apart from the Chromosome Browser, it also gives the cMs  for shared matches with each other in addition to shared with you, and triangulation is highlighted.

Sadly MH has a smaller base.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 22 16:01 BST (UK) »
The DNA tools are good but as you say the dBase is a lot smaller.

The good thing for me is that a lot of Belcher descendants have their results on MH as does a fair number of Italian.

Alas no Triangulation segments so far but I have generated Auto Clusters an am awaiting the results.

Cheeky so and so’s are MH they sent me a promo …… test your Cousins ….. then listed them all, buy 16 kits, no thank you.