Author Topic: Overgrown churchyards  (Read 1917 times)

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Overgrown churchyards
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies, they were very interesting to read.  I've joined up with some other concerned visitors to the cemetery and I'm becoming hopeful something might get sorted out. There aren't many people fit enough to tackle the enormous amount of gardening work required but everyone who can't physically help has promised to donate money so that professionals can be hired.   
London: Bethell, Bradbury, Butlin, Cantrill, Corfe, Darby, Fisher, Medcraft, Postill, Small, Standivan, Trotter, Walker, Woodley
Beds & London: King                      Essex: Mitson, Wicker
Gloucestershire & London: Kear     Hampshire & London: Eldridge
Herts & London: Dawson                Lancs  & London: Fogg
Notts & London: Barber                  Oxfordshire & London: Hemmings
Suffolk & London: Turner                Wilts & London: Brown, Wilkins, Wise
Scotland: Allan, Insch, Stephens

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 11:06 BST (UK) »
Our local churchyard is mown rather savagely by the council in part, but some the rest is left wild  on purpose - buried in that part is a former vicar, famous for his investigations into wild flowers and for his beautifully illustrated book on them.  A team of voluntary local people work to keep the churchyard tidy, keeping paths weed-free and cutting back stuff that gets too leggy.  Recently the church held a tea and cake event, at which a quiz sheets were offered, asking you to tick off all the wild flowers you spotted as you walked around the churchyard.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 11:34 BST (UK) »
Speaking as a churchwarden, if you are considering any sort of gardening/maintenance work in a churchyard, please make sure you consult with the church - vicar or churchwarden. They may have a deliberate re-wilding scheme or protecting a habitat/environment. There are also quite strict rules about what can and can't be done in a churchyard.

All too often, the cost of maintenance is beyond small parishes, and help with grass cutting etc would be very welcome. My church is very fortunate in that we receive help from the Parish Council but I know many that don't have that financial help.

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much RuthieB.  Yes, the vicar has been consulted and he is apparently asking permission from the Bishop. 
London: Bethell, Bradbury, Butlin, Cantrill, Corfe, Darby, Fisher, Medcraft, Postill, Small, Standivan, Trotter, Walker, Woodley

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 11:55 BST (UK) »
I am  a member of a local  church, the churchyard we try to keep tidy, not so many years ago I was mowing with a hover  mower and went  backwards  over a grave stone curbing,  didn't  have time to even  let go of the mower,  I was taken off to hospital badly injured, I  has 28  stitches and was  lucky not to have lost  my toes
Churchyards are kept tidy  by members  of the church, voluntarily,  whatever we do we do it  free  of charge, in fact it is very  difficult to get anyone to do it,  congregations are  generally of the older generation, not many youngsters  come forward to offer  in their spare time
We do have a group of men who do their best  but it is soul destroying when a member of the public  has a go because around their family grave stone it hasn't been mown, in my opinion,  bring  your own shears and whilst at it clear a couple either   side or volunteer to help

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 12:03 BST (UK) »
Speaking as a churchwarden, if you are considering any sort of gardening/maintenance work in a churchyard, please make sure you consult with the church - vicar or churchwarden. They may have a deliberate re-wilding scheme or protecting a habitat/environment. There are also quite strict rules about what can and can't be done in a churchyard.

All too often, the cost of maintenance is beyond small parishes, and help with grass cutting etc would be very welcome. My church is very fortunate in that we receive help from the Parish Council but I know many that don't have that financial help.

RuthieB
Our Parish Council kindly helps too. The Parochial Church Council is ever so grateful - without that help we wouldn't be able to mow the churchyard. Both councils have to be careful as Parish Councils don't have powers to give money for religious purposes; the point being that the churchyard is a benefit to the civil parish as a whole.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 23 June 22 09:42 BST (UK) »
I suppose this is another symptom of the slowly declining interest in religious participation, plus the preference for cremation rather than burial, plus the focus mainly on the older generation who (as has been suggested) are less able to do active gardening.

Maybe most of the interested visitors are family historians (like us) who don't live locally ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 June 22 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Andrew, you've made some good points there. 

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 June 22 13:02 BST (UK) »
I have  been to  my local church this  morning and group of volunteers. were  cutting  the grass, I  know them  so went to speak to them, as a lighthearted quip someone suggested  getting  a few sheep  from the local farmer,  apparently years ago they did do it,  not such a bad idea.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London