Author Topic: Batheaston and the 1939 (Its not a census, just a list)  (Read 1459 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Batheaston and the 1939 (Its not a census, just a list)
« on: Wednesday 22 June 22 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Researchers & Readers,

After several years of working on the GRAY's of Batheaston and Cullompton, it has only recently dawned on me that I haven't seen any WWII Special 1939 Lists for those family members that lived in Batheaston at the time.

What am I doing that is not quite right?

I've used the search facility for "Batheaston and the 1939 List" and no results were shown.  Am I in the correct forum of the Bulletin Board?

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Batheaston and the 1939 (Its not a census, just a list)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 12:22 BST (UK) »
I can see a Harry, Mary E & Kathleen on the 1939 register.  :-\  Is that the database you mean

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 13:51 BST (UK) »
What search facitlity are you talking about and exactly what is  WW11 Special 1939 List?
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
I assume you're talking of the 1939 Register taken to record all those who could be conscripted and those needing ration cards. You can find the Register on both Ancestry ans FindMyPast.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 18:56 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 22 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all, I'll be tied up for some hours before I can look in depth at all your comments, but I will be back as soon as possible with more substantial results for each comment.

Thankyou, Stay Covid Safe.

JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all part 2

My wording of the 1939 Register was (at best) misleading, apologies.

The prompt for posting the enquiry was caused by some years of finding the 1939 Register being presented on screen when a non year-specific search of censuses for <named individuals> was being conducted, whilst in my recent census searches with Batheaston addresses, I had not been aware of seeing the 1939 pages in with the various 18?1, 1901 & 1911 pages.

Rosie99:
I tried looking for the three names, together, but nothing convincing was seen amongst the options offered.

Emeltom:
I was referring to the search facility here on RootsChat,

antiquesam:
I have indeed used "Ancestry's" 'Census' Search facility, with considerable success, for many 1939 Register searches, across both England and Wales. But please read on.

However in the past hours I have used "Ancestry's" 'Census Search facilities for a number of different Gray's with Beatheaston addresses.  I have been given Census returns for single individuals for multiple years for each of them but none have included 1939.  It is almost as if the bundles of papers for Batheaston 1939 Register have 'gone missing'.

At this point I will repeat these comments refer to my searches via Ancestry.  I do not have a subscription with 'Find My Past', although I do from time to time access FindMyPast from the local public library, for very specific searches, but not in the past week.

CaroleW
I have this evening accessed from home, via Ancestry the link you offered, I used one name of interest (to me) with the Gray family name and Batheaston in the Location field.  I was offered an (unknown to me) number of pages of multiple 'given' names all with Gray as the family name.  I looked at the first 5 pages x20 per page.  There was not a single entry therein with a location that I recognise as a Somerset location.

Some of you with family and friendly ancestors living in the Bath or even the wider Somerset area might wish to make your own 'census' searches with Bath & 1939 in the appropriate fields.

Do any of you know if there is anywhere on the Ancestry website where I might discover if there is an "already known problem"?  I can't believe this isn't an "already known problem".

JohnG_Swansea

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 22 23:07 BST (UK) »
I have this evening accessed from home, via Ancestry the link you offered, I used one name of interest (to me) with the Gray family name and Batheaston in the Location field.  I was offered an (unknown to me) number of pages of multiple 'given' names all with Gray as the family name.  I looked at the first 5 pages x20 per page.  There was not a single entry therein with a location that I recognise as a Somerset location.

If you have the name and birthyear of the person - use that info (eg)

Joseph Bloggs  1900 - Somerset - if he was married - use spouse name to narrow search

Don't use Batheaston - just Somerset

If the person you are looking for was under 21yrs old in 1939 - the entry may still be redacted
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 June 22 00:36 BST (UK) »
Batheaston was part of the Bathavon Rural District. This appears to have been split into many enumeration districts for the 1939 register, represented by 4-letter codes. You can get the images for each district from the link Carole provided. It appears that WPEE contains Bailbrook and the London Road, WPEF has Northend and Bannerdown, WPEG includes St Catherine. So probably between them they have all of Batheaston but if you can't find addresses you know try the adjacent districts.

David