Author Topic: Scotlandspeople  (Read 1633 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlandspeople
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 June 22 20:34 BST (UK) »
That is great news!

The project to add mother's maiden name to the death index seems to be moving at a pace...so hopefully the start of the same for births not a million years away  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 June 22 06:18 BST (UK) »
I visited the Genealogy Centre at the Mitchell library Glasgow  in May . They use Scotland.s People. When I was searching the births I noticed the mothers maiden name was a new addition. However when I search Scotland's people ,from my computer online  it does not give that option in births.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 June 22 08:44 BST (UK) »
As I have already said, the mother's maiden name was only added to the original indexes from 1929 onwards, and you are not allowed to view online any birth less than 100 years ago.

I imagine that SP has plans to add the mother's maiden surname to the deaths index once they have completed adding it to all the deaths, and that adding the item to the search parameters is part of the preparation for that.

It would not surprise me if, when it goes live, searching using mother's maiden surname is restricted to births over 100 years ago.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 June 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
I wish they would re-instate the fuzzy match search option. I complained about its withdrawal earlier this year and this is part of the response I received on 7th March.

Harry

Thank you for contacting ScotlandsPeople regarding the removal of the name variant and fuzzy search options.
Following the feedback received from our customers we will be re-instating the fuzzy matching feature with the next system update. We cannot say at this point exactly when this will take place but it will be within weeks rather than months.
With regards name variants, we have been aware for some time that the name variants options did not work correctly and produced spurious results that could not be explained. We have therefore removed this search option.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 June 22 12:53 BST (UK) »
I got a similar response when I complained about removal of the 'Name Variants' search, which (for all its faults) was better than the phonetic or fuzzy matching for some of the names I am researching (Moug and Sang in particular).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.